Bug in tutorial: How to install and run a Jupyter notebook in a Cloud Dataproc cluster

Jay Teguh

Jul 11, 2016, 4:37:43 PM7/11/16
to gce-discussion
Hi, I've submitted an error report days ago but it hadn't seem to be acted upon. The tutorial in this link https://cloud.google.com/dataproc/tutorials/jupyter-notebook is not working.

"gcloud dataproc clusters create" step created an erroneous cluster. Screenshot here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ib3M3otvbDSE1rQUFKYmROLWs

But the FAILURE document has 0 byte as shown in this screenshot: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2ib3M3otvbDeEsyalVKWmtyeFE

Ideally I'd like to have dataproc accessible from datalab, but the second best thing would be the ability to run jupyter notebook for dataproc instead of having to upload jobs during my experiments.

James Malone

Jul 11, 2016, 6:18:42 PM7/11/16
to gce-discussion
Greetings,

This was due to a bug which we just fixed with this pull request.  Can you please re-sync your scripts against the GitHub repository and give it another try?

Best,

James

Jay Teguh

Jul 11, 2016, 11:54:44 PM7/11/16
to gce-discussion
Thank you, cluster creation works now.

When I run the next code, however:

gcloud compute ssh --zone=us-central1-f --ssh-flag="-D 10000" --ssh-flag="-N" --ssh-flag="-n" "spark-jupyter-2-m" &

It returned a dialog error "Putty Command Line Error" with message: "unknown option -D 10000" and I can't see jupyter notebook installment on my browser (Chrome). What do I need to do to correct this?

Jay Teguh

Jul 12, 2016, 12:04:18 AM7/12/16
to gce-discussion
I'm using Windows by the way, if this affected the outcome in any way.

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 14, 2016, 2:45:46 PM7/14/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Jay,

Thank you for reporting this issue.

I'm currently investigating this issue further. I'll post on this thread once I have an update.

Faizan

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 18, 2016, 8:03:55 PM7/18/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Jay,

Thank you for your patience.

It seems like Windows doesn't parse the SSH options as separate options. I have sent the request to update this information in our public docs. In the meantime, you can try the following command to see if that works for you (the '-n' option may not be supported by PuTTY in some cases):

'gcloud compute ssh --zone=<cluster-zone> --sshFlag="-D" --sshFlag="10000" --ssh-flag="-N" --ssh-flag="-n" "<cluster-name>-m'

Thanks

Faizan

Jay Teguh

Jul 22, 2016, 1:48:07 PM7/22/16
to gce-discussion
Hi Faizan,

Thank you for your reply. I got another error: unknown option "--sshFlag=-D".

Jay