Is TensorFlow pre-installed on GCE?

G Reina

Jan 16, 2018, 12:24:53 PM1/16/18
to gce-discussion
I'm investigating the use of Google Cloud Engine for working on deep learning.  When I procure a VM does the image have TensorFlow already installed? Or do I need to install it manually? Is there a list of pre-built images and capabilities that I can refer to?

Thanks.
-Tony

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Jan 16, 2018, 10:36:03 PM1/16/18
to gce-discussion
Hello Tony,

While you creating a VM, it won't be having any preinstalled software.

However, you can easily deploy a 'TensorFlow' (or any other functional software packages) instance using the Google Cloud Launcher. Many of these software packages which are listed in the Cloud Launcher are available at free of cost. You will be only billed for the 'Google Cloud Platform resources' which you have used to deploy these software packages.

Paul Nash

Jan 21, 2018, 3:36:08 AM1/21/18
to Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support), gce-discussion
Hi Tony,

Because we can't accurately guess what customers will use their VMs for, we take a minimal approach to pre-installing software packages, and go with the set of things that the OS vendor selects, plus the core Cloud SDK components (e.g. the gcloud command) and software necessary to enable features like login management. Many customers prefer that we not install extra software that they themselves may not need, but which could contradict their security policies or just take up unnecessary space if installed by default.

You always have the option of customizing your setup by creating a VM from our default image, adding the software you want, then shutting down that VM and making a new "image" from that VM's disk. Then you can use that Image in the future to startup new VMs. The only catch is that the image you create will not track any pre-installed OS patches or other software versions, but you can recreate your image from time to time to get the latest stuff (we update the base images every few weeks with the latest updates and patches).

--
© 2017 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/316e607b-58ea-4d75-ab8a-2e7d1821e303%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Group Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620