Stackdriver Alerting Migration missing processes

Julius Žaromskis

Oct 13, 2016, 8:49:40 AM10/13/16
to gce-discussion

Process monitoring

The alerting condition type Process Health checks the number of running processes in your VM instances. In the new platform, VM instances without an installed Stackdriver Monitoring agent are treated as if they have no running processes.

Processes are selected in the Process Health condition by a regular expression that is matched against the command_line field of the process. The regular expression is no longer matched against the command field.

OK, but I have the agent running, and process list is empty on many instances. Tried updating agent even, makes no difference. Is there something wrong on google's part? Is there a requirement for agent version to report processes?

Josh Moyer

Oct 13, 2016, 12:16:27 PM10/13/16
to Julius Žaromskis, gce-discussion
Hello Julius,
I will be contacting you via e-mail about this issue.

Kind Regards,
Josh Moyer
Google Cloud Platform Support

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/03af599f-cd95-457a-8c0a-ea164cd88e60%40googlegroups.com.

Youri Bonnaffé

Oct 17, 2016, 3:29:53 AM10/17/16
to gce-discussion, jzaro...@ignitenet.com
Hi

I'm having the same issue. Agent is running and the monitoring web interfaces is showing the processes I'm monitoring.
Did you manage to solve this?

Regards,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 5:49 AM, Julius Žaromskis <jzaro...@ignitenet.com> wrote:

Process monitoring

The alerting condition type Process Health checks the number of running processes in your VM instances. In the new platform, VM instances without an installed Stackdriver Monitoring agent are treated as if they have no running processes.

Processes are selected in the Process Health condition by a regular expression that is matched against the command_line field of the process. The regular expression is no longer matched against the command field.

OK, but I have the agent running, and process list is empty on many instances. Tried updating agent even, makes no difference. Is there something wrong on google's part? Is there a requirement for agent version to report processes?

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.

Stefan Schmidt

Oct 17, 2016, 9:06:19 AM10/17/16
to gce-discussion, jzaro...@ignitenet.com, lutz....@bayard-consulting.com
Hi,

I have a similar problem since the update. Some processes show up, while others are missing. Some processes show up sometimes. The agent is up to date on the machine in question.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Stefan

Josh Moyer

Oct 24, 2016, 6:32:03 PM10/24/16
to Stefan Schmidt, gce-discussion, Julius Žaromskis, lutz....@bayard-consulting.com
Hello, An issue was identified with the monitoring agent that results in these symptoms and a new version was released. Please uninstall and re-install the agent by removing the stackdriver-agent and stackdriver-extractor (if present) package. After the packages have been uninstalled, manually remove the following files and directories, if they exist: /opt/stackdriver/ /etc/default/stackdriver-agent /etc/sysconfig/stackdriver-agent Reinstall (using the instructions and scripts at [1]) and let the agent run for about 5 minutes and see if the processes list displays.

Hopefully this will help.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/2f1cccf5-4336-421d-b8a8-6d3e62ed92e8%40googlegroups.com.