Are attached GPUs charged even when a VM instance is stopped

Hima Tammineedi

Apr 19, 2017, 3:03:52 PM4/19/17
to gce-discussion
I'm new to GCP, and I'm going to be using a GPU instance.

I was wondering if I stop my VM, do I still get charged for the GPU like I would be for storage?

This page says "A stopped instance does not incur charges, but all of the resources that are attached to the instance will still be charged. For example, you are charged for persistent disks and external IP addresses according to the price sheet, even if an instance is stopped."
But does that include GPUs?

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Apr 19, 2017, 4:54:35 PM4/19/17
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Hima,

When I stop a VM that is using GPUs, I can see the GPU resource quota used by the VM does not count anymore against my project. This is the exact behavior described for CPUs here. Based on that, It seems the resource is liberated and therefore you will not be charged for GPUs. In any case I will reach the documentation team in order to confirm and provide clarification in the document. .