Google Container Engine STATIC_ADDRESSES quota limit reached

Jeffrey Gu

Sep 12, 2016, 10:04:19 PM9/12/16
to gce-discussion
Hello,

I've been having problems standing up a 2nd Docker image in on my small GCE cluster. For some reason, the 2nd container I attempt to expose never appears on the web, despite it showing an EXTERNAL-IP when I run kubectl get services.

In the Activity page for my application, I saw this alert:

STATIC_ADDRESSES quota limit reached

Afterwards, I upgraded my account (but I still have free trial credit). I also ran all the instructions to add the additional container to my Kubernetes instance, derived verbatim from this page.

Running

kubectl get services

returns

NAME CLUSTER-IP EXTERNAL-IP PORT(S) AGE
app
-2 10.19.255.89 IP_ADDRESS_2 8080/TCP 15m
kubernetes
10.19.240.1 <none> 443/TCP 16d
app
-1 10.19.243.30 IP_ADDRESS_1 8080/TCP 16d

Running

gcloud compute project-info describe --project project-name

I receive the following for static addresses:

metric: STATIC_ADDRESSES
usage
: 0.0
- limit: 200.0

When I attempt to manually connect to http://IP_ADDRESS_2:8080, I simply cannot connect to the server. Did I miss a crucial step in upgrading my account, or should I read more up on how to properly add these containers to my cluster? I can verify that my image builds and runs locally without incident.

-Jeffrey

George (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 13, 2016, 12:58:45 PM9/13/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Jeffrey,

Is it possible to privately provide me with your Project ID so I can be able to investigate the issue ?

As you mentioned, an IP is being assigned but you are not able to access it. Did you enable the port in your firewall?

Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
George

Jeffrey Gu

Sep 20, 2016, 10:31:23 PM9/20/16
to gce-discussion
Hi George,

I'm sending you my project id on here because I do not know if my private messages have been sent. It is aerial-reality-135501.

Also, I do not think Heroku or my private network have blocked the address with a firewall.

-Jeffrey

George (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 21, 2016, 4:36:25 PM9/21/16
to gce-discussion
Hi Jeffrey,

As per the Heroku documentation, by default all access is denied and only allowed ports and protocols should pass the firewall. Did you allow the port in your Heroku configuration?

As this issue is related to third party product configuration on GCE, I would suggest posting your question on ServerFault or Stackoverflow with the relevant tags, where community and Google's engineers are active as well.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
George

Jeffrey Gu

Sep 22, 2016, 11:28:11 AM9/22/16
to gce-discussion

Hi George,

I will continue to investigate what I'm doing wrong...It's just strange to me that my one service receives the port and can be accessed, whereas the other cannot. I may just blow out and rebuild everything again on the container engine.

-Jeffrey

Jeffrey Gu

Sep 22, 2016, 5:25:15 PM9/22/16
to gce-discussion
Hi George,

I'm kind of an idiot here, but I finally figured it out :D

In the command
kubectl run app --image=gcr.io/app-image --port=3000

One has to of course expose the same port delineated in the Dockerfile.
Thank you for your patience with me...It was a confounding of things that set me on the wrong path.

-Jeffrey