Receiving E-Mail on GCE

A Holbreich

Oct 20, 2017, 10:41:03 AM10/20/17
to gce-discussion
Hi, folks i run some small websites on GCE VM's (and plan to migrate to Managed kubernetes later)

occasionally (very rare) people wan't to contact me as admin of these sites, so i only need to something that i can register ad...@my-website.com and forwaring email to my regular email adres for example.
There is no default Mailbox Feature in GCE
What could be the low effort and low or no costs solution here?  And ideas?

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 20, 2017, 3:27:44 PM10/20/17
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
As you mentioned, you need to look for a 3rd-party applications to install in your VM. There might be some Linux free mail servers

In the GCP infrastructure, the main point to take in consideration while configuring your server is that outbound connections on ports 25, 465 and 587 are blocked. The details and workarounds are described in this article.

A Holbreich

Oct 21, 2017, 4:42:29 PM10/21/17
to gce-discussion
Sure to host something myself will solve this.
My hope was for just occasional "forwarding" there is something like AWS lambda or something like this possible.

Regarding sending; Yes, i'm aware of it, my app was re-writen to use Sendgrid for this purpose.

Am Freitag, 20. Oktober 2017 21:27:44 UTC+2 schrieb Carlos (Cloud Platform Support):
As you mentioned, you need to look for a 3rd applications to install in your VM. There might be some Linux free mail servers

Carlos (Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 26, 2017, 10:08:56 AM10/26/17
to gce-discussion

The closest product I can think of is GAE, which would allow you to send emails using your code without having to worry for taking care of the infrastructure.