RDP Error, License Server not available, Any way without license to get in to set up license?

Kindra Perkins

Feb 12, 2016, 1:49:05 PM2/12/16
to gce-discussion
I'm an amateur, newbie. Set up a single VM instance in GCE to use only for myself, one user. I use this VM only to run two pieces of software, QuickBooks and Quicken. I access it from a Chromebox and Chromebooks with the stable channel OS. I use Chrome RDP for Google Cloud Platform from Fusion Labs.  Has been working well for nearly 3 months.

Currently unable to access the VM, I believe, because I neglected to acquire and/or configure the Remote Desktop License on the VM (even though it has only been 89 days since I set up the VM, not the 120 days I thought I would have to acquire that license)

Here are my error messages:

From the Chrome OS:

your session has ended. one of the following issues may have occurred

the administrator has ended the session

an error occurred before the session was established

a network problem was encountered

**********
I also tried to access it from a friend's Windows laptop RDP and this is the error message:

The remote session was disconnected because there are no Remote Desktop License Servers available to provide a license. Please contact the Server Administrator.
***********

I tried remoting in using the incorrect credentials, just to verify that the RDP was actually communicating with my instance, and it is, because with the incorrect credentials I am notified that the credentials are invalid. I also used the windows laptop to ping the server and it is alive.

So my question is, do you think my problem is actually, as I suspect, that I don't have a license for remote desktop services on the VM? AND, If so, is there any way to get into the VM to set up the license, since I don't have a license to get in? Seems like a Catch 22.

Thanks for any info. you can provide which may enlighten me further. As I said, I am a newbie, it was my first time setting up a server and I think I knew just enough to be dangerous.

Kamran (Google Cloud Support)

Feb 12, 2016, 8:12:21 PM2/12/16
to gce-discussion

Hi Kindra,

You may try mstsc /admin command from a Windows machine to connect as an administrator to your GCE VM, then you can update your Remote Desktop License.

For more information about this command please visit this link.

Sincerely,

Kindra Perkins

Feb 13, 2016, 12:48:09 AM2/13/16
to gce-discussion
Kamran, thank you so much!  I used that command from a Windows machine and was able to connect to the virtual VM. I am so pleased to learn so much every day from this community.

Once I was in my VM I found that I only needed to remove remote desktop services from role and features wizard, I deleted both remote desktop licensing and remote desktop session host because I don't need them in my situation, at least, as I understand it.

Thanks again.

mogilbert7

Jun 16, 2018, 11:59:28 AM6/16/18
to gce-discussion
Kindra,
Are you still using Quickbooks on the Google cloud platform?  Is it working well?  Any comments about how well things work?  issues?

Thanks,
Mark