Promoting an ephemeral external IP address

Matt Stevenson

Jul 25, 2016, 8:40:51 AM7/25/16
to gce-discussion
Hi There

Following the Documentation for Promoting an ephemeral external IP address here

I got errors when I ran gcloud compute addresses create [ADDRESS_NAME] \ --addresses [IP_ADDRESS]

Is this because I have not specified a instance , do I use gcloud config set "instancename" first ?

If any has done this I just need to promote the current external IP address to be static.

Yours Faithfully

Matt

George (Google Cloud Support)

Jul 25, 2016, 11:22:09 AM7/25/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Matt,

What is the error message that you are receiving?

I just ran the same command on my test account and I was able to promote an ephemeral IP to a static one without specifying an instance name and it succeeded without any issues.

Looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
George

Matt Stevenson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:15:07 AM7/27/16
to gce-discussion
Hi George

I'm running the command from the Cloud shell by the way.

This is the response , thanks in advance. Do I need to start with glcoud use first so it know what instance to reference its all I can think of ?

ERROR:
(gcloud.compute.addresses.create) Some requests did not succeed: - Invalid value for field 'resource.name': ' --adressses'. Must be a match of regex '(?:[a-z](?:[-a-z0-9]{0,61}[a-z0-9])?)' - Invalid value for field 'resource.name': '130.211.85.80'. Must be a match of regex '(?:[a-z](?:[-a-z0-9]{0,61}[a-z0-9])?)' - Quota 'STATIC_ADDRESSES' exceeded. Limit: 1.0

Matt Stevenson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:17:47 AM7/27/16
to gce-discussion
Or maybe as I have exceeded the quota of 1 static address so should I remove the one I have.

I used this command find the static I had tried to save before that I do not need.

gcloud compute addresses list

What command will remove the Address so I retry the promotion again ?

Matt Stevenson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:35:08 AM7/27/16
to gce-discussion
I figured the command is :

gcloud compute adresses delete 'instancename'

So I think its to do with not specifying the resource name in the addesses command whats your thoughts ?

Matt Stevenson

Jul 27, 2016, 11:39:16 AM7/27/16
to gce-discussion
Hi George

I figured it out was a syntax error on my side this is the working command.

gcloud compute addresses create myinstancename --addresses 1.1.1.1