How can I control GCE LB to create max N TCP connections with my backend instance?

Exilend App

Jun 14, 2016, 6:56:48 AM6/14/16
to gce-discussion

For each request that a client makes through a load balancer, the load balancer maintains two TCP connections. One connection is with the client and the other connection is to a back-end instance. GCE LoadBalancer is creating lots of TCP connections with my backend instance, how can i control this ?

GCP docs says

"Traffic from the load balancer to your instances has an IP address in the range of 130.211.0.0/22. When viewing logs on your load balanced instances, you will not see the source address of the original client. Instead, you will see source addresses from this range."

That means ideally LB can open max 2 pow 10 * 2 pow 16 = 67108864 TCP connections with backend instance. Here 2 pow 10 for IP range 2 pow 16 for port range per IP.

How can I control GCE LB to create max N TCP connections with my backend instance?

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Jun 14, 2016, 3:05:19 PM6/14/16
to gce-discussion
Hello,

If your end goal is to route multiple requests from a given user to end up on the same instance you can take a look at session affinity for Google HTTP load balancer. You can refer to this help center article with more information. However, keep in mind that this feature is still in beta and is not covered by any SLA or deprecation policy.

I hope that helps.

Faizan