putty network connection error: connection timed out [gcloud compute ssh]

Huzeifa Essaji

Aug 22, 2017, 6:44:25 PM8/22/17
to gce-discussion
Just want to preface this by saying I'm really not too knowledgeable when it comes to this stuff. Just started using google cloud a few days ago.

I created a windows instance and now i'm trying to generate an ssh for it. But every time I try putty gives me a connection error saying the connection has timed out.

I've made sure nothing with the firewall is blocking it but I don't know what else to do.

http://i.imgur.com/2764cxg.png

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Aug 22, 2017, 7:49:26 PM8/22/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Huzeifa,

You can connect to your GCE Windows instance using RDP. The steps are mentioned on this link. If you want to use ssh to connect to the Windows VM you need to install and setup ssh server(e.g. OpenSSH for Windows). For more information and steps to install OpenSSH and setup ssh keys you can visit this link.

I hope that helps.

Faizan