OOM problem

Andrew Gryaznov

Oct 7, 2015, 5:08:31 AM10/7/15
to gce-discussion
Hi all,

I am trying to run memory-heavy computations on the GCE but I constantly run into a problem when I fail to correctly calculate the amount of RAM my calculation will take and the VM suddenly stops responding rather than killing the task (which instead kills the app on my local PC when I test it and it runs OOM). This is extremely annoying as I may crash the system by resetting or issuing a forced powerdown. More interestigly though, that the swap is actually disabled but the OOM killer does not kick in for unknown reason.

Does anyone have any idea of how to fix this?

Andrew Gryaznov

Oct 7, 2015, 5:32:05 AM10/7/15
to gce-discussion
I found the workaround: setting

kernel.core_pattern = /core

fixed the issue. The issue seems to be ubuntu-specific
By default it tries to launch apport upon a crash which makes things even worse in case of OOM and seems to not work in google VM environment as opposed to desktop ubuntu PC

--
© 2014 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/9045f378-d1c9-4641-bfc6-0d7510c52107%40googlegroups.com.