Windows Server Instances need Virtualized Graphics Adapter (for VNC / CRD)

cea...@thedevexpert.com

Apr 17, 2015, 3:09:41 AM4/17/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
For the last day or so I have been trying to get both:
  • Chrome Remote Desktop
    or
  • VNC (various versions)
to work on the GCE Windows images (both 2012 & 2008).
None of them can produce an image. Connection-wise, everything works, but when you get in, you are presented with a black screen. I did some digging around, and I believe the cause is that there is no graphics adapter on the Windows system (not even a virtualized one), and there's no way to even add one.

Given that RDP is support is lacking in the Google-sphere (*cough* Chromebook), I think it's crucial that this issue is addressed! Hopefully by Google including a (virtualized?) graphics adapter driver on it's Windows images!

Alex Gaysinsky

Apr 17, 2015, 3:31:43 AM4/17/15
to cea...@thedevexpert.com, gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ceaton,

We have an RDP plugin for Chrome and also built-in support in Developer console (RDP button in the instances listing). You need to use Chrome browser to use the plugin/RDP button.

Please give it a try and let us know if it worked for you.

-Alex

--
© 2014 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/cdb30c32-fef6-43c6-8831-840fbc1f56f4%40googlegroups.com.

Alex Gaysinsky | Product Manager | gays...@google.com | 310-406-4298

cea...@thedevexpert.com

Apr 17, 2015, 3:41:59 AM4/17/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com, cea...@thedevexpert.com
Hi Alex,
   Thanks for the response. Yeah, I'm aware of the RDP plug-in, unfortunately it isn't the most responsive or well-built plug-in. I've had much better luck in terms of remote desktop performance via VNC or Chrome Remote Desktop (on non-GCE boxes), which is why I've been trying so hard to get either to work, and why I posted this potential solution (not 100% if it'll work) - assuming Google could look into it.

   I presume that since both CRD and VNC have the same issue (black screen) that it's probably related to the same underlying issue (no graphics adapter), which may or may not be something Google techs could add to the VMs for Windows... dunno.

Anyways, yeah, I'm not looking for immediate resolution, just something I had hoped worked out of the box.

Advisor Joao

Apr 21, 2015, 4:35:46 PM4/21/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hello Christopher,

Thank you for your kind feedback. I second Alex's response of the Chrome extension. I've been using myself and I prefer it over the windows rdp client.

I suggest you file for a feature request on the GCE public tracker

This way, you and others can get updates. If you want, you can adapt the template below to create your feature request:

Request Description:

Current Functionality:

Desired Functionality:

Business Need: