Re: [gce-discussion] CPU usage 100%

Message has been deleted

Justin Reiners

Jun 11, 2018, 12:13:07 PM6/11/18
to Saurabh Shah, gce-discussion
What is the operating system, and what does your instance do?

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 10:35 AM, Saurabh Shah <sspr...@gmail.com> wrote:
Why mu Instance is randomly using CPU 100%

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/c3ecd174-6aac-4776-a311-1021a461c0b7%40googlegroups.com.

Saurabh Shah

Jun 11, 2018, 12:15:57 PM6/11/18
to gce-discussion
The os is Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch + TF nightly and I use the Instance for hosting a Gaming Server of Counter strike.

Justin Reiners

Jun 11, 2018, 12:19:59 PM6/11/18
to Saurabh Shah, gce-discussion
I'd try to access it via the console in Google Cloud, if you cant see anything force a reboot and login before it starts.

check /var/log/ or watch journalctl -f for any errors.

It's easy to spin a CPU if it's looping on an error. Also check free -m to see what your memory usage is.

also look into installing sar so you can see what the issue was if it happens again

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:15 AM, Saurabh Shah <sspr...@gmail.com> wrote:
The os is Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch + TF nightly and I use the Instance for hosting a Gaming Server of Counter strike.

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.

Saurabh Shah

Jun 11, 2018, 12:23:09 PM6/11/18
to gce-discussion
I have tried to open it via google console but at tha issue time I am not able to access it also I have reinstalled os many times but dont know whats wrong. It is randomly causing issue.

Justin Reiners

Jun 11, 2018, 12:26:33 PM6/11/18
to Saurabh Shah, gce-discussion
even after resetting the instance, it won't let you log in?

At what point does it start eating 100%? What is the last modification you made after a fresh install? I've got hundreds of machines running on Google Compute Engine. Normally a 100% CPU is caused by a Windows VM just thinking about life, or something I break.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:23 AM, Saurabh Shah <sspr...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have tried to open it via google console but at tha issue time I am not able to access it also I have reinstalled os many times but dont know whats wrong. It is randomly causing issue.

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.

Saurabh Shah

Jun 11, 2018, 12:29:36 PM6/11/18
to gce-discussion
After reseeting Instance I am able to login normally.After fresh installation I just uploaded the game server files. and nothing else for that installation I downloaded 32 bit libraries using "apt-get update && apt-get install lib32z1 && apt-get install gcc-multilib"

Justin Reiners

Jun 11, 2018, 12:32:50 PM6/11/18
to Saurabh Shah, gce-discussion
I'd take a look at your logs and see if you see anything obvious. Normally my GCE stuff is solid stability-wise. I'm more of a redhat guy myself. Install sar while you are in there, and I'll keep track of CPU use, swap, memory, etc. It makes it easy to reset the instance and see when problems started and what caused them.

What size instance is it? I know the tiny instances will throttle if you use too much CPU.

On Mon, Jun 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Saurabh Shah <sspr...@gmail.com> wrote:
After reseeting Instance I am able to login normally.After fresh installation I just uploaded the game server files. and nothing else for that installation I downloaded 32 bit libraries using "apt-get update && apt-get install lib32z1 && apt-get install gcc-multilib"

--
© 2018 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.

Saurabh Shah

Jun 11, 2018, 12:40:03 PM6/11/18
to gce-discussion

My instance is 2 vCPUs, 1.8 GB memory and with 10gb SSD persistent disk. I have installed sar using the following link

and also started croned job.

Kamran (Google Cloud Support)

Jun 11, 2018, 2:27:13 PM6/11/18
to gce-discussion
Hello Saurabh,

I've posted some troubleshooting hints for your issue on this thread.

Saurabh Shah

Jun 16, 2018, 6:36:11 AM6/16/18
to gce-discussion
I have found the problem which process is causing this issue it is due to "ksoftirqd" process which is cosuming cpu highly.Now would somebody please tell me how to fix it.

Fady (Google Cloud Platform)

Jun 18, 2018, 5:58:23 PM6/18/18
to gce-discussion

Hello Saurabh,

When CPU utilization is high due to this process (ksoftirqd), it is usually an indication that the operating system is being under heavy interrupt load, and this is due to using the network heavily (receiving very large numbers of packets). In other words, it is normal that the Operating System is processing such interrupts. I found similar cases and better explanation at this askubuntu thread, and this stackexchange link. You may try tweaking the settings per the first thread, but the easy solution is to change your machine type to something more appropriate for the workload. I hope this helps.