Attitude towards crawling activities from GCE infrastructure

Or Ricon

Apr 18, 2017, 2:17:29 PM4/18/17
to gce-discussion
Hi there,

I would like to inquire about the attitude of Google Compute Platform regarding customers performing crawling, scraping and other kinds of similar activities from GCE infrastructure.

I have gone through the Terms of Service but failed to find a mention of this, which is why I decided to post here.

I can provide further context if required.

Thank you,
Or

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Apr 19, 2017, 4:52:32 PM4/19/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Or,

Crawling and scraping on GCE shouldn't be an issue, as far as you know how and what your crawl could be, for example:
- Don't ignore robots.txt.
- Don't open multiple simultaneous connections to a given domain.
- Don't crawl the entire web.
- Do put a web page up on your IP explaining what you're up to and how to contact you.
- Make sure crawler's user agent contains a link to the web page explaining the crawler.
- Also you need to abide by our AUP[1].

I hope that helps.

Faizan

[1] https://cloud.google.com/terms/aup