can't open eclipse from google compute engine

M Tong

Sep 29, 2016, 8:44:35 PM9/29/16
to gce-discussion
I'm using the apache solr infrastructure and can't open the eclipse after installing it

I'm wondering if it's a user permission issue, but when I try to su user, it asks me about the password, how can i find out my password?
I also tried to install the xvfb with no luck

cd /home/username/eclipse
./eclipse

!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4467)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.createDisplay(Display.java:934)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Display.java:918)
    at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:157)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:514)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:505)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.createDisplay(Workbench.java:732)
    at org.eclipse.ui.PlatformUI.createDisplay(PlatformUI.java:162)
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.createDisplay$
    at org.eclipse.ui.internal.ide.application.IDEApplication.start(IDEAppl$
    at org.eclipse.equinox.internal.app.EclipseAppHandle.run(EclipseAppHand$
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.runAppl$
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(E$
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.j$
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.j$
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl$
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAcce$
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:648)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:603)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1465)
    at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1438)

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 30, 2016, 3:18:27 PM9/30/16
to gce-discussion
Hello T,

In order to troubleshoot this issue further I would recommend posting this question on stack overflow because that will give you access to a broad community of people to solve the sorts of problems you're asking about. Make sure to include all relevant details that would help somebody debug(steps tried, Eclipse version, error message, etc). This forum is meant for the general discussion.

With that said, you can reset the password for a user on GCE instance using 'sudo passwd USER' command. This will not ask you for the current password.

I hope that helps.

Faizan

M Tong

Sep 30, 2016, 3:59:07 PM9/30/16
to gce-discussion
Faizan,

I'm wondering if it's some sort of bug with bitnami can display GUI appropriately. Have you deployed eclipse in bitnami before? I was always able to do that in centosOS and ubuntu

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Oct 3, 2016, 4:49:12 PM10/3/16
to gce-discussion
Hello T,

Thank you for your message.

I would recommend contacting Bitnami support to get further assistance regarding this issue. You can refer to this link [1] for Bitnami support.

I hope that helps.

Faizan