package updates

Juanjo Bermúdez

Nov 29, 2016, 9:06:22 AM11/29/16
to gce-discussion
Hi,

I have installed OSSEC and it reports me sometimes that some packages are being installed while I'm not connected to the server. I have an image with Ubuntu 14.04. I remember that I had to install some software so that Google auto-updated things, but I'm not sure if I understood it right. Is it normal that my server installs packages while I'm not connected? Nobody else, in theory, has access to the server. Today it installed GStreamer that doesn't seem in any relation with administering Google Cloud services.

Paul Nash

Nov 30, 2016, 3:47:07 AM11/30/16
to Juanjo Bermúdez, gce-discussion
It is likely that you are seeing the effect of automatic upgrades that the operating system performs. In general it's our belief that operating systems in a cloud environment should be configured to automatically update in order to obtain the latest security patches. Below is a Google link towards how you might be able to confirm that auto updating is turned on, and perhaps somewhere in there is info about a log file that might record the actions being performed on your VM (I'm not certain such a log exists, but I wouldn't be surprised). Note: I doubt this is Google per se, but we do ask that our vendors enable auto-updating as a rule.

--
© 2016 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/9ee80cb5-ed2c-4655-be05-c2999a71a9aa%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620