Can I Reduce the Size of Root Persistent Disk of Google Compute Engine?

yu yiutung

Jun 16, 2016, 12:14:27 AM6/16/16
to gce-discussion
Hello

I am running a wordpress site on google compute engine, it started very well until today......

As the site is intended for user to create contents, I was testing how to increase the size of the persistent disk.

Yes, it is possible and easy, however, it seems not possible to reduce or return to the original size of the disk.

It was 10GB and now it is 10TB, which heavily increased my cost and it is totally unnecessary.

Is there any way that I can reduce the size of the root disk?

I tried to create a new disk from snapshot, but it cannot be attached to the current instance with error "feature not supported".

I think it maybe possible to create a new instance with the snapshot but it will cost me to buy a new SSL cert., however, I guess it could be the last or best option.

Anyone can help?

Thank you so much!

Renfred

George (Google Cloud Support)

Jun 16, 2016, 1:07:52 PM6/16/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Yu,

Unfortunately reducing the size of a disk is not available yet using Google's tools. However, I was able to find this ServerFault thread where the cp -r command and the fsarchiver tool is used to accomplish a boot disk resize.

As this is a useful feature, I strongly recommend filing a Feature Request in our Public Issue Tracker in order to make it possible in future releases.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
George

yu yiutung

Jun 16, 2016, 10:02:06 PM6/16/16
to gce-discussion
Thank you George,

Finally I decided to create a new instance by the snapshot and delete the 10TB disk, even it took me some time to figure out how to completely duplicate the site, it works fine now.

Look forward to see more solution soon!

Renfred