How to set up an Always Free compute instance

Jon Walters

Sep 22, 2017, 4:22:44 PM9/22/17
to gce-discussion
I am trying to set up an Always Free compute instance.  I'm looking to use it as a Unifi controller for Ubiquiti networking equipment.

My concern is that when I try to create a new instance, it appears that I'll be charged $5/month even though I am within the usage limits for the Always Free.  How does this billing actually work?  Are you credited a certain amount at the end of the month to wash out the charge?  And what about the hours?  There are 730 hours in this month, but only 720 hours are free?  I can't find any clear, definitive answers on this issue.  Please help clarify my confusion!

Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 22, 2017, 6:50:23 PM9/22/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Jon,

For always free, "Google Compute Engine and Google Cloud Storage are eligible for Always Free in us-east1, us-west1, and us-central1 regions. The usage limits are for all three regions combined [1]".

For f1-micro instances, free usage is equivalent to the number of total hours within the current month. For example, in September there are 31 days which counts to 744 hours (31*24) in this month and You, therefore, receive 744 instance hours of free usage for the month. For more information, refer to the public documentation FAQ link [1].

Tapir

Sep 22, 2017, 9:35:10 PM9/22/17
to gce-discussion

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:50:23 PM UTC-4, Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Hello Jon,

For always free, "Google Compute Engine and Google Cloud Storage are eligible for Always Free in us-east1, us-west1, and us-central1 regions. The usage limits are for all three regions combined [1]".

For f1-micro instances, free usage is equivalent to the number of total hours within the current month. For example, in September there are 31 days which counts to 744 hours (31*24) in this month and You, therefore, receive 744 instance hours of free usage for the month. For more information, refer to the public documentation FAQ link [1].

I plan to create a f1-micro instance in us-east1-d, but it appears that I'll be charged $4.28/month.

How can I know whether or not I'm capable of the Always Free usages?

Tapir

Sep 22, 2017, 9:43:54 PM9/22/17
to gce-discussion

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 9:35:10 PM UTC-4, Tapir wrote:

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 6:50:23 PM UTC-4, Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Hello Jon,

For always free, "Google Compute Engine and Google Cloud Storage are eligible for Always Free in us-east1, us-west1, and us-central1 regions. The usage limits are for all three regions combined [1]".

For f1-micro instances, free usage is equivalent to the number of total hours within the current month. For example, in September there are 31 days which counts to 744 hours (31*24) in this month and You, therefore, receive 744 instance hours of free usage for the month. For more information, refer to the public documentation FAQ link [1].

I plan to create a f1-micro instance in us-east1-d, but it appears that I'll be charged $4.28/month.

How can I know whether or not I'm capable of the Always Free usages?

BTW, I satisfy all the conditions listed here https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/frequently-asked-questions#always-free

Jon Walters

Sep 22, 2017, 10:28:00 PM9/22/17
to gce-discussion
I agree with Tapir. Every post I see about this Google just skates around the billing question and referring people to the FAQs. I've read the FAQs and they don't give a clear answer.

Another question that isn't clearly addressed is the 1GB egress traffic limit. The way I understand it is that it's 1GB of traffic to ateas outside of North America with traffic inside of North America free. Please confirm or clarify the limit. Thanks!!

Jon Walters

Sep 23, 2017, 11:51:04 PM9/23/17
to gce-discussion
Can we please just get a clear explaination that doesn't refer to the FAQs?

Manikandan Krishnamurthy

Sep 25, 2017, 2:44:49 AM9/25/17
to gce-discussion
Hi Jon,

I am user of GCP resource.

I have noted that your screenshot shows free hours (always free). Suspect,estimated amount confused you. Please refer below link for GCE always free details.

Kindly clarify whether you billed for the month for this instance or different issue.

Link:
https://cloud.google.com/compute/pricing

Tapir

Sep 26, 2017, 9:26:23 AM9/26/17
to gce-discussion
Hi Manikandan,

could you help me confirm whether of not I'm capable of getting the Always Free usages?
Many thanks!

Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 26, 2017, 4:38:03 PM9/26/17
to gce-discussion
Hello

Tapir@ : If you satisfy the conditions listed in the listed here, you will not be charged as for Always free usage.

Jon@: I am working on to get more clarification on the defined limit of 1 GB egress traffic as per the documentation under Always free usage and will post an update once I have it.

Moreover, Is there any other specific concern or question you have which is not addressed in provided FAQ. Also, Did you get charge for always free usage limit?

Tapir

Sep 27, 2017, 2:26:55 AM9/27/17
to gce-discussion

On Tuesday, September 26, 2017 at 4:38:03 PM UTC-4, Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Hello

Tapir@ : If you satisfy the conditions listed in the listed here, you will not be charged as for Always free usage.

Ah, I mis-thought Manikandan is GCE support.

Are there some hints from the page UI to show I will not be charged as for Always free usage? :)

Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 27, 2017, 12:07:15 PM9/27/17
to gce-discussion
Tapir,

On GCP console, it reflects the estimated charges. Moreover for verification, you can use pricing calculator [1]. Define the number of instances: "1" and the instance type: "f1-micro" and select the checkbox for the option "Include Always Free usage in my estimate." Click on "Add to Estimate"

You will notice "Estimated Component Cost: $0.00 per 1 month" as it took always free usage into account.

[1] https://cloud.google.com/products/calculator/#

Tapir

Sep 27, 2017, 12:40:50 PM9/27/17
to gce-discussion

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 12:07:15 PM UTC-4, Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Tapir,

On GCP console, it reflects the estimated charges. Moreover for verification, you can use pricing calculator [1]. Define the number of instances: "1" and the instance type: "f1-micro" and select the checkbox for the option "Include Always Free usage in my estimate." Click on "Add to Estimate"

You will notice "Estimated Component Cost: $0.00 per 1 month" as it took always free usage into account.

The option "Include Always Free usage in my estimate." is even available for guest users.
Do you mean every paid users can enjoy the always free usage?

To make it more clearly, I just want to know whether or not I satisfy the conditions listed here:
https://cloud.google.com/free/docs/frequently-asked-questions#always-free
I mean although I feel satisfy them all, but I just want to know if you also think so.

Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support)

Sep 27, 2017, 1:01:26 PM9/27/17
to gce-discussion
Tapir,

Users who satisfy the following criteria as listed in FAQ are eligible for the Always Free:
  • You do not have a custom contract or rate card with Google.
  • Have an upgraded billing account
  • Account must be in good standing
Moreover, The offer does not expire, but Google reserves the right to change the offering, including changing or eliminating usage limits, subject to 30 days advanced notice.

Make sure you are using the resources within a region where Always Free usage amounts are available, and under Always Free Usage Limits, you will not be charged. However, if you encounter any problem where you get charged for any always free usage resource, feel free to reach out GCP billing support team for assistance using this link [1].

[1] https://support.google.com/cloud/contact/cloud_platform_billing

Tapir

Sep 27, 2017, 1:17:36 PM9/27/17
to gce-discussion

On Wednesday, September 27, 2017 at 1:01:26 PM UTC-4, Navi Aujla (Google Cloud Support) wrote:
Tapir,

Users who satisfy the following criteria as listed in FAQ are eligible for the Always Free:
  • You do not have a custom contract or rate card with Google.
  • Have an upgraded billing account
  • Account must be in good standing
Moreover, The offer does not expire, but Google reserves the right to change the offering, including changing or eliminating usage limits, subject to 30 days advanced notice.

Make sure you are using the resources within a region where Always Free usage amounts are available, and under Always Free Usage Limits, you will not be charged. However, if you encounter any problem where you get charged for any always free usage resource, feel free to reach out GCP billing support team for assistance using this link [1].

[1] https://support.google.com/cloud/contact/cloud_platform_billing

Ok, many thanks.

I will create an instance to check if I satisfy the conditions.
It looks it is the only way to get the answer.

Paul Nash

Sep 29, 2017, 5:18:54 PM9/29/17
to Tapir, gce-discussion
Hi all, just to make one point extremely clear:

The estimated pricing listed at the right hand side of the instance creation page that was pasted earlier in this thread is an only *estimate* of the cost of the VM as you've configured it. That system is a web based calculator, and does not have access to the details of every particular user's account state. In other words, it is not related to the billing system. As such, it cannot accurately predict what your bill will be. In fact, the prices it shows are *not* official prices, and in case of a discrepancy (for example, maybe you have some special conditions on your account, credits, etc.), the invoice you receive is the official correct answer. Always Free Tier is automatically applied by the official billing system according to the eligibility criteria that have been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Sorry for the confusion, I've taken a note to see if we can clarify this somehow.

--
© 2017 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/e3192ff1-5c1e-4dcf-ab96-a9841f2bf5b8%40googlegroups.com.

Paul R. Nash | Group Product Manager, Compute Engine | paul...@google.com | 206-876-1620

Jon Walters

Oct 15, 2017, 7:58:42 PM10/15/17
to gce-discussion
Thank you Paul!

sabyasachi mukhopadhyay

Jun 20, 2018, 8:57:56 AM6/20/18
to gce-discussion
I am located in Bangalore India, can I have access to "Always free" GCP?

Zsolt Müller

Nov 20, 2018, 9:55:17 AM11/20/18
to gce-discussion
Hi!

It'd be nice to have an option to limit all GCE service usage to the Always-free tier offering, thus under no circumstances would the user be billed.
Of course there would be not much of a business for Google in this, i.e. making it extremely easy for users to stick within the boundaries of the free services.
Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-dis...@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.

Larbi (Google Cloud Support)

Nov 20, 2018, 3:13:56 PM11/20/18
to gce-discussion
Hello,

The Always Free program provides limited access to many common GCP resources free of charge. Resources are provided at intervals and come with  usage limits but Any usage above Always Free usage limits is automatically billed at standard rates. if you don't pass these usage limit per product then it's fine.
You can help control costs by setting up budgets and alerts through the Google Cloud Platform Console. but certainly you can't block your usage you have to monitor your usage according the the limit provided