Active Standby Instances

Mohammed Anzal

Feb 4, 2016, 9:16:50 AM2/4/16
to gce-discussion
Hi

I had my VPN gateway solution working on physical servers with high availability in an active standby mode. I would like to test this on the GCE cloud environment. How is it possible to achieve this. So my question is

- How do I get my two instances to use a common external IP address (Like a VIP in VRRP)? The outside world needs to know only one IP address(The road warrior scenario in IPSEC tunnel)
- Are there simple heartbeats available (like ICMP ping test) ?
- My two instances will work like a master and a slave, If one fails the other needs to start receiving the network traffic. What can I use to seamlessly replicate my conf files in these two instances ?

The examples provided in the documentations are from a Web application deployment scenario. I do not want to do any load balancing. I was looking for something like the LINUX-HA heartbeat or keepalived. But the cloud does not provide multicast support.

Thanks

Anzal

George

Feb 5, 2016, 4:34:29 PM2/5/16
to gce-discussion
Hello Anzal,

In order to accomplish the scenario that you are describing, you can do the following:

1. Create two target pools
2. Add each instance in one target pool
3. Make the "Slave" instance's target pool as a backup pool for the "Master" instance's target pool
4. Configure the 'Failover ratio' on your target pool.
5. Create a Forwarding rule that points to the "Master" target pool.

You can have more information about the forwarding rules and target pools in this Help Center article.

I hope this helps.

Sincerely,
George

Mohammed Anzal

Feb 8, 2016, 1:06:58 AM2/8/16
to gce-discussion
Hi George

Thanks for your inputs. I will definitely check into it and get back to you. Once again, thanks for your help.

Sincerely,

Anzal