Errors when google-cloud-sdk tries to update.

Jason Johnson

Apr 6, 2017, 11:40:42 PM4/6/17
to gce-discussion

I have a fairly base Debian Jessie install. All I've done with their image is install some stuff to run a web server such as Nginx, MySQL, PHP, PHPMyAdmin, etc.

However, when I run the apt-get update and then apt-get upgrade commands, I start running into errors:

Setting up google-cloud-sdk (149.0.0-0) ... Killed dpkg: error processing package google-cloud-sdk (--configure): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 137 E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

So I've tried restarting the server and trying again and I get this:

Setting up google-cloud-sdk (150.0.0-0) ... WARNING: updated help index at /usr/lib/google-cloud-sdk/.install/help_text/table.json

Any ideas what I can do? I don't even know what google-cloud-sdk does, it was pre-installed with the image. Is this a serious problem? I'm kind of a newbie to Google Cloud Platform but I've been running a VPS at DigitalOcean for a couple years without any issues.

Faizan (Google Cloud Support)

Apr 7, 2017, 4:55:18 PM4/7/17
to gce-discussion
Hello Jason,

Cloud SDK is set of command line tools to manage Google Cloud Platform resources. It comes pre-installed on Google Compute Engine images. The last message you have received is a warning and not an error, as such, no further action is required. You can find more information on Cloud SDK through this link[1].

I hope that helps.

Faizan

Kay Urbach

Aug 21, 2017, 9:38:19 AM8/21/17
to gce-discussion
Hi Jason,

As a follow-up, I was getting the same errors on my micro-machine (as Apache2 webserver) with 0.6 GB RAM, but not on other, bigger machines.
Since CPU should not be the issue here, I killed my Apache Server - which was the main service on my machine and the next time it ran through.
Maybe you'll need to kill one of your biggest service regarding RAM usage, which was apache for me.
For production environments, you shouldn't use micro's in general, according to Google, so, killing services should not be the issue.

Hope that helps, as it did for me.
Regards,
Kay

Bitte beachten Sie unsere neuen Kontaktdaten - Please note our new contact details.

www.cloudwuerdig.com | www.sotec.eu

Cloudwürdig
Blumenstraße 33/1, D-71106 Magstadt

Cloudwürdig® ist eine eingetragene Marke der SOTEC Software Entwicklungs GmbH + Co Mikrocomputertechnik KG
Calwer Straße 11, D-75395 Ostelsheim

Sitz Ostelsheim, Amtsgericht Stuttgart HRA 330821/HRB 330664, Geschäftsführer: Florian Holz
Cloudwürdig® ist eine eingetragene Marke der SOTEC Software Entwicklungs GmbH + Co Mikrocomputertechnik KG

Der Inhalt dieser e-Mail ist ausschließlich für den bezeichneten Adressaten bestimmt. Wenn Sie nicht der vorgesehene Adressat dieser e-Mail oder dessen Vertreter sein sollten, so beachten Sie bitte, dass jede Form der Kenntnisnahme, Veröffentlichung, Vervielfältigung oder Weitergabe des Inhalts dieser e-Mail unzulässig ist. Wir bitten Sie, sich in diesem Fall mit dem Absender der e-Mail in Verbindung zu setzen.

The content of this e-mail is meant exclusively for the person to whom it is addressed. If you are not the person to whom this e-mail is addressed or his/her representative, please be informed, that any form of knowledge, publication, duplication or distribution of the content of this e-mail is inadmissible. We ask you, therefore, in such a case to please contact the sender of this e-mail.

Abhinav Jain

Sep 30, 2017, 11:05:22 AM9/30/17
to gce-discussion
Another approach I did was to create the instance as a small version, and after installation edit it again to the micro-machine instance.

I think it should be ok if you use nginx and a firewall such as cloudflare.