Container Engine Permissions + Cloud SQL

Ryan Loader

Apr 23, 2015, 7:47:04 PM4/23/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I am attempting to connect to cloud SQL from a node in a Container Cluster on GKE but I get "Error: Handshake inactivity timeout". I just noticed earlier that when I click on my Container in the developers console there are a list of permissions down the bottom with Cloud SQL disabled and Storage Read Only. I suspect that is the issue with the connection (the same code works fine when connecting to another SQL database).

I need to use both of these services in my Cluster, is there any way to modify these permissions?

Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, I couldn't find a Container Engine group.

Cheers! Ryan.

Tony Tseng

Apr 24, 2015, 2:29:21 PM4/24/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ryan,
The Cloud SQL permission you saw in the UI is a bit misleading; it actually refers to the permission of the admin API. You do not need it to access the database.

Did you set up the ACL for your Cloud SQL instance? When you say "the same code works fine when connecting to another SQL database", is that another Cloud SQL instance?

Ryan Loader

May 6, 2015, 5:33:54 PM5/6/15
to gce-dis...@googlegroups.com
Hi Tony thanks for your reply.

It turned out to be a whole myriad of problems with my Kubernettes configuration (doh!). Thanks for your help and clarification of the permissions.

Cheers, R.