Root Email

Abram Fehr

Oct 18, 2017, 8:42:08 PM10/18/17
to gce-discussion
Where do I change the root email address?

I am getting emails send to ro...@servername.c.projectname.internal

I have tried to change the root email in /etc/aliases as well as /root/.forward, but it doesn't seem to be working.

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3.

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 19, 2017, 3:31:04 PM10/19/17
to gce-discussion
It is not really clear what you are trying to achieve. Do you have a GCE server running an email application and you are receiving the emails from that address? If that is the case, please make sure that you had run the following commands after changing the aliases file. 1. newaliases (updates aliases file) 2. service postfix restart (restarts the postfix server- MTA) Keep in mind that changes made in /etc/aliases and /root/.forward will only work with respect to your MTA (Mail Transfer Agent). Also if you are using Postfix (default Mail Transfer Agent of Ubuntu ), there is this help center article to help you to reconfigure it. You can also check this discussion blog which may aid you on the similar issue.

Abram Fehr

Oct 20, 2017, 10:35:30 AM10/20/17
to gce-discussion
I have a GCE server and I am using Sendgrid to send emails via Postfix. In the Sendgrid log, I see emails being send to ro...@servername.c.projectname.internal which are being dropped. I was assuming that they were some kind of system emails.

I did see that discussion post and tried all the options mentioned in there, but the emails are still coming, so I was wondering what I missed.

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 24, 2017, 4:53:28 PM10/24/17
to gce-discussion
It seems like you have a configuration error inside SendGrid. Any configuration of third-party(SendGrid) tools integrated with GCP instance falls outside our scope of support. But I can only give you my best effort on your concern. Have you tried relaunching the SendGrid?

On Friday, October 20, 2017 at 10:35:30 AM UTC-4, Abram Fehr wrote:
I have a GCE server and I am using Sendgrid to send emails via Postfix. In the Sendgrid log, I see emails being send to root@servername.c.projectname.internal which are being dropped. I was assuming that they were some kind of system emails.

Abram Fehr

Oct 26, 2017, 9:46:05 AM10/26/17
to gce-discussion
I guess I am not explaining this properly.

There is no issue with Sendgrid, it is sending emails just fine. It is just in sendgrid that I see that the server is sending emails to that email address, ro...@servername.c.projectname.internal. They are bouncing because it is not a real email address; and judging by the format of the email address, it seems to be a server default email address. It is sending an email every day, at the same time, just one email.

I had assumed that it was the email address for the root user, which is what I tried changing, but to no avail yet.

Does that make sense?

Digil (Google Cloud Platform Support)

Oct 26, 2017, 4:51:23 PM10/26/17
to gce-discussion
Have you checked crontab and see if there is any cronjob set for daily?