Problems accessing instance

Jonas Luis Schweizer

Feb 4, 2016, 10:06:34 AM2/4/16
to gce-discussion
Hello . I'm starting to use the cloud computing services of google . I am using the trial version and creating instances to simulate an environment . But with my VM created somento can access it via SSH. There is a link to an external ip , and when I click on it nothing happens. I wonder if I have access to some explicit program to access the graphical interface .

Warren Strange

Feb 4, 2016, 11:20:34 AM2/4/16
to gce-discussion

Have you tried to ssh using the GUI console? Does that work?

Jonas Luis Schweizer

Feb 4, 2016, 8:51:51 PM2/4/16
to gce-discussion
yes SSH access works. But I need the GUI for some software

Warren Strange

Feb 4, 2016, 8:55:41 PM2/4/16
to gce-discussion

It is not clear from your description what graphical interface you are trying to access.

If you are running a web server on your VM, have you opened up the required firewall ports?

Jonas Luis Schweizer

Feb 5, 2016, 7:02:48 AM2/5/16
to gce-discussion
In fact , the operating system Ubuntu 14.04 . I believe he has graphical interface. How to access via SSH can not even climb the same manually . I believed that the access would not release any permission already come all ready, but what kind of permission are these .

Jonas Luis Schweizer

Feb 5, 2016, 7:55:43 AM2/5/16
to gce-discussion
Now I managed to install a software called xrdp to access Linux. But I do not have the root password to facilities or login. Where do I get this information.

Warren Strange

Feb 8, 2016, 10:50:19 AM2/8/16
to gce-discussion

The base VMs that come with GCE probably do not have any X client software installed - so you would have to install the missing packages.

To connect remotely you want to use a tunnelled ssh connection. There are instructions on how to set up a command line ssh session in the documentation.

All that being said,  I would not recommend installing a GUI.  You can do everything via the command line, and in the long run it is better to learn to use the command line.

Jonas Luis Schweizer

Feb 9, 2016, 8:34:54 AM2/9/16
to gce-discussion
The Biggest problem is I do not have the root password . And yes I need the graphical interface. I will emulate VMs I will use in graphical mode . At the precise moment only the root password for some packages installation.

Warren Strange

Feb 9, 2016, 5:42:47 PM2/9/16
to gce-discussion

You will want to read the section on adding your own ssh keys:

Then you can open up an ssh connection from your client, and tunnel X over that connection (ssh -L option )

Alternatively, you could install an VNC server on the server, and use a VNC client (also over ssh).

If you are not comfortable with Linux, these things are not exactly easy  - you will have some research to do.