Live Migration (CloudEndure): able to configure target instance name on Blueprint

Dmitry Vlasov

Apr 20, 2017, 12:44:51 PM4/20/17
to gce-discussion
Hi, we plan to use CloudEndure for DR purposes and the main trick is:
  1. save original hostnames on target hosts
  2. configure IP for target hosts on Blueprint (different from source)
  3. make sure that hostnames will be resolved to these new IP
  4. add internal google DNS (169.254.169.254) to /etc/resolv.conf on each host
So, for p.3 we need able to configure instances names in blueprints for it (Google DNS resolve instance names to actual IP)

Is it possible?

Brian Stark

Apr 20, 2017, 1:05:32 PM4/20/17
to Dmitry Vlasov, gce-discussion, Leonid Feinberg
Hi Dmitry,
Thanks for reaching out.  Adding Leonid from CloudEndure to answer your question.

Brian Stark | Product, Google Cloud Platform | bhs...@google.com |  +1 (415) 298-7808

--
© 2017 Google Inc. 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043

Email preferences: You received this email because you signed up for the Google Compute Engine Discussion Google Group (gce-discussion@googlegroups.com) to participate in discussions with other members of the Google Compute Engine community and the Google Compute Engine Team.
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "gce-discussion" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gce-discussion/2b6fdefa-0b46-4330-b573-ff0d5dde91b8%40googlegroups.com.

Leonid Feinberg

Apr 20, 2017, 5:03:59 PM4/20/17
to Brian Stark, Dmitry Vlasov, gce-discussion
Hi Dmitry,

Points 1 and 4 are being done automatically by CloudEndure.

For p. 3, I suggest that you use the Google Cloud DNS to pre-create records into your target GCP project DNS that will translate the hostnames of the machines into the pre-defined IP addresses that you select in the Blueprint.

Does this make sense?

BTW, it looks like you only have an account in the VM Migration service, but you do not have a DR account, so the UI may look slightly different.

On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 9:34 AM, Dmitry Vlasov <z1n...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Leonid Feinberg  | VP Products | CloudEndure™ - All Systems Go.™
Israel: +972 (3) 5277367 x010 | US: (650) 360-0717 | www.CloudEndure.com

Dmitry

Apr 21, 2017, 2:46:38 AM4/21/17
to Leonid Feinberg, Brian Stark, gce-discussion
Thank you, Leonid.

Unfortunately, almost all our "source" hosts lives in local domains, such as ".local" and as far as I know, Google DNS can't handle these domains or hosts without any domain (please correct me if I'm wrong)

On the other hand, internal DNS automatically resolve instance names (w/o domain part) to actual IP

So, it looks like the easiest way: configure right names with which instance will be created

Leonid Feinberg

Apr 22, 2017, 2:32:31 AM4/22/17
to Dmitry, Brian Stark, gce-discussion
Hi Dmitry,

At the moment, the name of the created VMs are not configurable, but the options to configure them is coming soon.

Could we have a short call to discuss the time frames of your project, to make sure that this ability is ready for you when you begin?

Leonid Feinberg

May 3, 2017, 8:23:11 AM5/3/17
to gce-discussion, z1n...@gmail.com, bhs...@google.com
Hi Dmitry,

Just wanted to let you know that this feature is now available in the Migration console.