[Google Compute Engine] new command line tool, bigger instances, and detailed usage reports

Google Compute Engine Team

Jun 16, 2014, 11:15:35 AM6/16/14

Greetings Google Cloud Platform users,

Today, we announced our next generation command line tool and improved Windows support for our tools. We also released bigger, more powerful 16 core instances, detailed usage reports, and published a video that explains how you can build your own GCE images. Read on for more details.

New command line tool

From our blog post announcement:

Today we’re excited to announce that gcloud family of command-line tools is being joined by gcloud compute, a new command-line interface for Google Compute Engine.

Some of the gcloud compute highlights are:

This is an open preview release of gcloud compute which we continue to actively develop. Once it reaches general availability, gcloud compute will replace gcutil.

Windows installer for Cloud SDK

If you’re running on Windows, download and launch our new Google Cloud SDK installer. Once the installer completes, you should have gcloud compute available on your system. You can also manage Google Cloud DNS and Cloud SQL and other Cloud Platform services using Cloud SDK for Windows.

General availability of 16 core instances

New 16 core machine types with up to 104G of RAM are now available to all Google Compute Engine customers in all zones. For current rates, please see our pricing page.

Detailed usage reports

Last week, we released Compute Engine Usage Export, which enables you to easily export detailed reports about your usage data.  Usage Export makes it easy to obtain more granular insight into your Compute Engine usage at a resource level. For example, you can monitor exactly how long a virtual machine has been running or how much storage space a persistent disk uses on a daily basis. To find out more, please check out the Usage Export documentation.

New image creation video

Bringing your own image to Compute Engine doesn’t have to be complicated. We published a video that takes you step-by-step through the image building process using VirtualBox. You can also read our security and system configuration recommendations.

Thanks, and happy computing! As always, please send us any feedback via the normal channels.

-- Alex Gaysinsky, on behalf of the Google Cloud Platform