Google Compute Engine v1beta16 API, GCG kernel, and scratch disk EOL

Google Compute Engine Team

Feb 19, 2014, 3:50:53 PM2/19/14

Greetings Google Cloud Platform users,

Back in December, we announced that v1beta16 and scratch disks were deprecated and that they would remain available until March 4, 2014. We also announced that the Kernels collection was not supported in the v1 API and therefore support for the Google-provided (GCG) kernels is only available via the v1beta16 API.

Today, we wanted to let you know that we are extending support for v1beta16 (including GCG kernels) and scratch disks for an additional month, until April 4, 2014.

If your Compute Engine project(s) still use any of the following deprecated features, we encourage you to take action soon:

  • v1beta16 API

    • upgrade/convert any code, scripts, or tools that are still using the v1beta16 API over to the newest API, v1

  • scratch disks, including scratch boot disks and *-d machine types

    • migrate data from existing scratch disks to new persistent disks (you may need to request more PD quota so don't leave it until the last minute)

    • recreate instances that use *-d machine types and scratch boot disks using the persistent disks you just created

  • Google-provided (GCG) kernels

    • upgrade your root persistent disks to use an embedded kernel

    • upgrade any custom images to use an embedded (in the image) kernel

Refer to the v1 transition guide for full details and instructions to help you migrate your project.

After April 4, 2014, calls to the v1beta16 API will fail, so scripts and applications still using v1beta16 will stop working at that time. Instances using Google-provided kernels or scratch disks (either *-d machine types or scratch boot disks) will continue to run after v1beta16 goes away but you will not be able to relaunch them if they fail. On June 1, 2014, all instances using Google provided kernels, *-d machine types, or scratch boot disks will be terminated.

Thanks, and happy computing! As always, please send us any feedback via the normal channels.

Best regards,

--Alex Gaysinsky on behalf of Google Cloud Platform