[announce] Google Compute Engine and today's security disclosures

Paul Nash

Jan 3, 2018, 8:12:03 PM1/3/18
to gce-announce

Hello GCE Customers,

As many of you may be aware, there has been a lot of speculation recently about several security issues that affect modern CPUs from many manufacturers, including the CPUs that GCE uses. Google and our industry partners have now released more extensive information about these issues. We’re posting a heads-up here to provide a handy link to several resources that describe the situation in more detail.

Most Google products and services are already protected by mitigations we have applied to Google’s infrastructure. GCE customers are advised to patch and/or update their VMs to use the latest OS images once our vendors have published fixes. You may monitor the GCE Security Bulletins documentation page for all the latest details on the availability of updates for each OS.

Thanks,

-Paul Nash

Group Product Manager, GCE

Additional resources:

Google Cloud blog

Google Security blog

Google Project Zero blog (technical disclosure)