eBay data use

Henry Andrews

Oct 16, 2009, 6:21:24 PM10/16/09
to GCD Board
Hi folks,
I just spoke on the phone with the eBay representative about their proposed use of our data. Their approach fits quite well with our licensing guidelines. The high points:

* They will use either the database dumps or a program that reads the data off of the web pages. They're not sure yet. If they use a screen scraper, they will time it to work during hours when we have low load, and we can contact them if we notice problems.

* They are aware of our planned changes in both the schema and UI, and are OK with the fact that they'll have to periodically rewrite their tools.

* They'd like to update their data weekly, although if we provide dumps every other week that is also acceptable (I have no problem automating a weekly dump once the tech work on the OI settles down- it does not incur significant load on the server).

* They will not expect us to provide images in bulk, and will likely download images from a variety of sites. They understand our position and reasoning about distribution of images.

* They will credit us on each page that sells a specific item (issue, trade paperback, etc.). The credit will prominently displayed be next to the item picture and key information, "above the fold" so to speak. When the site first goes live they will only have the ability to link to eBay accounts, so they will only be able to display our URL. Around March they will have fixed their system to display links to external sites, and will convert our credits to a link.

Please let me know if you have any concerns. The delay until March for the hyperlink to our site is the only item that is not already compliant with our Board-approved terms, and therefore the only aspect which could block anything. However, since they already have a plan and a timeline to correct it (and had the plan ready before I even asked a question about it), and will display the URL in the meantime, I do not think this should delay things.

thanks,
-henry

tonyr...@comcast.net

Oct 16, 2009, 6:37:04 PM10/16/09
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
Sounds good to me.

tony

Will Allred

Oct 16, 2009, 9:18:47 PM10/16/09
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
I'm with Tony, this sounds good.

Will
______________________________

Will Allred <wal...@gmail.com>
http://www.quantumzone.org/ http://www.comics.org/

Lou Mazzella

Oct 17, 2009, 9:25:28 AM10/17/09
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
This is a great opportunity fr more exposure for us. I think the delay with the hyperlink is no cause for concern and that we should approve their use of our data.
-Lou

CArch...@aol.com

Oct 17, 2009, 5:41:53 PM10/17/09
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com

In a message dated 10/16/09 6:21:41 PM, hh...@cornell.edu writes:

[...]

I think this is terrific and perfectly in line with what the GCD is for, a source of information for everyone to use (as long as we are credited). This will certainly open up all sorts of avenues for updates and error corrections too for us, especially on Golden Age material I think.

I have seen them use this with DVDs and CDs, they get their source of information from certain sites. I think it is amazing we are considered in the same company.

And many dealers and sellers for years have been using GCD data to spice up their auctions. This makes it official and less worries about not being credited.

my best
-Ray

Henry Andrews

Oct 17, 2009, 5:58:17 PM10/17/09
to gcd-...@googlegroups.com
As far as I can tell they're thrilled with us because we're comprehensive, non-profit/non-competing and have friendly licensing terms.  I think they'll be using other sites (although she did not get into the specifics of that) but I get the impression that we are going to be the primary source for this catalog.  I suspect that our areas where we have the best data will line up with their areas of most sales, but I do think we'll get new corrections and indexers out of this arrangement as well as a lot more traffic.  Which we're fortunately now in a better place to handle.

thanks,
-henry