Grouping up redirects into a single browse activity in reports

Rob Gates

May 1, 2016, 8:08:57 AM5/1/16
to Gatling User Group
Apologies if this has already been answered elsewhere - I've look through all the forums and the guidance on timings & redirects, but haven't got a full answer.

I have a simulation that browses to multiple URLs, some of which follow redirects, and some of which do not. I'd like to see the overall averages/percentiles/etc for all of these browses.

I'm doing http("Browse").get($url), so that all the results are logged with the same name in the reports, rather than against each of the urls, but this results in multiple report rows:

Requests | Executions | Response Times | etc
------------------------
Browse | 1000 | 100ms etc
Browse redirect 1 | 50 | 150ms
Browse redirect 2 | 20 | 125ms
Browse redirect 3 | 3 | 150 ms

(assuming I've set maxRedirects to 3)

I can see why this would be really useful in lots of cases (being able to see the impact of the redirects), but for this use case I'm trying to just see the overall effect (regardless of whether we were redirected or not). In the above case, for example, I'd like to see:

Requests | Executions | Response Times | etc
Browse (inc redirects) | 1073 | 103ms

I've tried using groups, and changing the useGroupDurationMetric , but clearly this isn't what groups are designed to do - things are grouped up correctly, and the counts & rates are as I'm hoping, but the timings are obviously summing other activities as described in the guidance.

Is there any way of achieving what I'm after that I've missed?

Rob