PhD/Postdoc Positions in Game Research @Northeastern

Casper Harteveld

Jan 8, 2017, 3:55:58 PM1/8/17
to gamesfo...@googlegroups.com
In addition to our Faculty Search (the deadline for full review was Dec. 31st but we are still accepting applications until the position is filled, see https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/45437), we are looking for new PhD Students to start in Fall 2017 and Post Docs to start as soon as possible or as late as September 2017.

Prospective PhD students should first seek contact with me with their CV (c.har...@northeastern.edu) and can then apply here for a PhD in Computer Engineering or a PhD in Industrial Engineering: http://www.coe.neu.edu/degrees/graduate-admissions

The Post Doc advertisement is mentioned below. Interested candidates can apply here: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/44922

--------

We are seeking one or two Post Doctoral Research Associates (Post Docs) to join our fast-growing game research group. The research position involves assisting in developing games for impact, empirical studies using quantitative and qualitative data, and writing research papers on the main topic of gaming and decision making. Additional responsibilities include grant proposal preparation, lab management, and supervision of graduate and undergraduate students.

Playing games is about making decisions. The Post Doc will be involved in advancing the use of games as a research environment to study how people make decisions as well as to improve their decisions and develop tools to assist in this. We also find it of great importance to educate the next generation of problem solvers and, therefore, a significant amount of our work is dedicated toward improving existing education. We are currently pursuing these topics across a dozen projects: from a crowdsourcing game where players can participate in and create social experiments (www.northeastern.edu/casperharteveld/madscience) to the development of a curriculum where students create games about climate change. A complete list of projects can be viewed at http://www.northeastern.edu/casperharteveld.

The work will be performed under the guidance of Dr. Casper Harteveld, an Assistant Professor of Game Design. As most projects will involve collaborations with faculty from across Northeastern University (Computer Science, Engineering, School of Law, School of Public Policy, and Marine Science Center), the Post Doc will experience a wide variety of interactions with researchers and students.

We seek candidates who have a PhD in Computer Science, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Cognitive Science, Learning Science, Management Science, Industrial Engineering or related areas. A successful candidate will have an interdisciplinary background and an interest in games for impact. Although we will consider a wide range of candidates, we welcome candidates with strong technical expertise in empirical research (quantitative preferred) or in machine learning/data science. Candidates should ideally also have experience with game design, in particular using game engines such as Unity.

Apply here: https://neu.peopleadmin.com/postings/44922

Best wishes,

Casper

--
Casper Harteveld, PhD
Assistant Professor of Game Design

Natalie Hruska

Jan 9, 2017, 4:38:16 PM1/9/17
to gamesfo...@googlegroups.com

Would you consider a part time post doc?

I teach full time online in web and interactive media. I live on Cape Cod and have a PhD in Applied Management and Decision Sciences and long time interest in social impact games. I have used a few game design engines- not too experienced with them, but more experience with software like Edge and using HTML and CSS to create interactive experiences.

Let me know if it is a possibility, and I will put in my resume.

Thank You

Natalie

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.