Unity developer looking to contribute some after-hours time to non-profit project

Mike McGraw

Mar 23, 2016, 9:34:47 AM3/23/16
to Games for Change
Hi, first post here (I think! I've been lurking a while)... I'm a full-time software dev in Nova Scotia, Canada, looking for a well-managed non-profit project to donate some after-hours time to. I'm hoping to join a project that will benefit from my passion for game design, while allowing me to learn more about an important topic, technology, movement or approach to living I've not yet had a chance to learn about. I'm at a point where I know that I don't know what I don't know, if you know what I mean :)

Some topics I'd like to learn about :

1. First Nations history, culture and decolonization
2. Sustainable living / homesteading
3. Addressing communication barriers between cultures / nationalities / ethnicities
4. Teaching non-coders how to code
5. Games to promote physical acitivity
6. ??? (see above about the not-knowing)

No idea where this might lead; maybe there are websites out there for people to skill / knowledge swap? Perhaps somebody's trying to get a prototype built for a game and just needs a few days' development work? Maybe somebody has a cool idea and just wants to find a few people to brainstorm?

I'd love to work with people from Nova Scotia (nothing better than getting together in person) but am open to remote collaboration if the project is right.

I already have a full-time job, after-hours gigs doing coding lessons for kids, and a full family life myself, so my time is admittedly limited, so apologies in advance, but I'm looking for a project that is an excellent fit for my abilities, schedule, personal philosophies and learning objectives.

Best of luck with all your various projects!

Mike

Robin Hughes

Mar 30, 2016, 2:35:06 PM3/30/16
to Games for Change

Hi Mike,

Would be interested in connecting at some point. I have worked on a couple of games in the past that would have possibly met your criteria. However don't have anything very well developed at this point.

It still would be interesting to have more of a chat and keeping in touch in case something comes up. Currently I am working on a game to help people with anxiety, depression, chronic fatigue, adrenal fatigue etc.  I also have another creative game based on soft/social skills that has some design issues needing ironing out.

My friend (he does rapid prototypes) and I watch out for game for change projects that need help getting to prototype.

Regards,

Robin
Skype is robin.hood101

mkl...@triad.rr.com

Apr 13, 2016, 9:34:32 PM4/13/16
to Games for Change

healfro...@gmail.com

Apr 26, 2016, 6:25:18 PM4/26/16
to Games for Change
Hi Robin,

I am a Physician Assistant-former teacher developing an educational video game that increases resilience, optimism, and hopefulness, while targeting social and behavioral competencies in the school setting.  I need a designer-programmer to do a simple prototype for a kickstarter campaign.  If you're not interested yourself perhaps you might know someone who is interested.  If in fact you are interested how do I get in touch with you?

Pattie Umali

May 4, 2016, 3:47:59 PM5/4/16
to Games for Change
Hi Mike,

If you are still looking for someone to help, I am creating a 2D choose-your-own-adventure game for a public diplomacy organization using Unity and Fungus. As a beginning game designer, I could use help on coding random generation/selection of scenes to make gameplay more intriguing. If you or someone you know are interested, please send me a private reply.

Thanks!
Pattie

Mike McGraw

May 12, 2016, 2:47:54 PM5/12/16
to Pattie Umali, Games for Change
Oh no! I missed this. I'm really sorry... I've been filtering my G4C emails but didn't think to check them all this week. Weirdly, I ended up emailing you just now because it sounds like what I'm interested in :) If you are still looking for help, I'd definitely be interested in chatting about what you're up to. I can definitely help out with any Unity questions you have.

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.