Adult playfulness - Games for play awareness

swapnesh samaiya

May 14, 2018, 3:17:07 PM5/14/18
to gamesfo...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

I'm working on a thesis project on adults playfulness, wherein I'm trying to understand how do we become less playful as we grow old? or so we lack the opportunity of play(social, cultural) in today's modern civilizations, which directly deals with the problems of social anxiety, depression, and loneliness, as somewhere we forget to be playful with people and with ourselves, we start to become more serious in life and also start feeling the fear of misinterpretation and judgement. Play/game at its core has the quality of freedom and expression and problem like this can be solved through play.

I'm trying to map, in which context(places, people, scenarios), adults feel safe to express themselves playfully, Games are one of such contexts but not everyone plays the games, right?

If anyone knows of research/games/material on the similar lines of interest, please let me know, it would be of great help.

thanks,
be playful
--
Regards,
Swapnesh samaiya

Sebastian Deterding

May 29, 2018, 10:32:09 AM5/29/18
to gamesfo...@googlegroups.com
Hi there,

you may want to have a look at the "Adult Play" special issue in Games and Culture, which <plug> includes an article by me on alibis for adult play </plug>.
http://journals.sagepub.com/toc/gaca/13/3

Am 5/14/18 um 8:11 PM schrieb swapnesh samaiya:

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.

Joe Wasserman

May 30, 2018, 4:47:13 PM5/30/18
to Games for Change
In some recent work I've been doing with hobbyist boardgamers, it has been not uncommon for them to report playing boardgames as an acceptable form of adult play or to recapture some feeling of childhood. Unfortunately, I don't have a citation to provide at the moment, but I hope to present this research at NCA in the fall.

Best,
Joe

Mark Chen

May 30, 2018, 5:23:06 PM5/30/18
to Joe Wasserman, Games for Change
I don't know the answer to this: Would "serious leisure" stuff from Stebbins fit?

mark

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.

You see before you Mark Chen, PhD.
Above his head appears a label that changes every time you look at it between "Hoodie-Wearing Games Scholar Thug," "PT Lecturer at UW Bothell," and "President of the United States, purveyor of alternative facts."
Do you send him a tweet (@mcdanger), check out his website (markdangerchen.net), or respond to this email?
He looks at you expectantly with a smile.

Staples, Carolyn I

Jun 4, 2018, 9:46:25 AM6/4/18
to Mark Chen, Joe Wasserman, Games for Change

Swapnesh,

What an interesting question. I am trying to find ways to keep my parents engaged (80+) and finding games/experiences that they would find accessible and interesting is a challenge.

To answer your question, you might contact Mary Couzin <mco...@chitag.com>.

She runs a game/toy conference in Chicago. https://www.chitag.com/

She might have some suggestions.

Cary