Looking for games designed specifically to influence socio-political behaviour?

daniela de angeli

Feb 12, 2018, 8:25:02 PM2/12/18
to Games for Change

Dear Games for Change community,

I am a Research Associate in Computer Science at the University of Bath. I am currently researching how games can be used for socio-political impact, so how specific games can influence the social behaviour of a player or can be used for political purposes. I was wondering if you could suggest me any archive/book/publication where I could find relevant games or if you yourself can think of any game. I am looking for any type of game, including for example digital, mobile and board games. Thank you in advance.

Daniela De Angeli

Research Associate at University of Bath

Tristan Angeles

Feb 12, 2018, 9:20:31 PM2/12/18
to daniela de angeli, Games for Change
Hi,

It's a game we developed, and has been included in Common Sense Education Best EdTech for 2017.

Cheers,

- Tristan

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.

Kurosh ValaNejad

Feb 13, 2018, 9:04:00 AM2/13/18
to Tristan Angeles, daniela de angeli, Games for Change
Germany's Cultural Center, the Goethe Institute, and their Art & Design Museums, ZKM,  have organized a traveling exhibit "Games and Politics"

Look for the link to the 45 pages show catalog in my blog post.  Its dense.

It's showing in a different city nearly every month for up to 5 years.

On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 11:49 PM, daniela de angeli <daniela.p...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Tiffany Taylor Attaway

Feb 13, 2018, 10:54:42 AM2/13/18
to daniela de angeli, Games for Change
The most famous example of this kind of game is Peacemaker. http://www.peacemakergame.com/

Tiffany Taylor Attaway

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.

Aaron Vanek

Feb 13, 2018, 3:26:17 PM2/13/18
to Games for Change
Hi

I know tons of larps (live action role playing) that do this:

Halat Hisar - A joint Palestinian-Finnish larp about living in occupied Palestine: http://www.nordicrpg.fi/halathisar/

Dublin2 - about the EUs poltical refugee program (starts on page 27 in this book of essays: https://nordiclarp.org/w/images/a/a0/2012-States.of.play.pdf

Crossroads is known for doing A Day in the Life of a Refugee at WEF Davos: http://www.refugee-run.org/

Denmark ran one about a different welfare state where you had to prove your worth or be killed (forgot the name): https://youtu.be/77ACDFVzH_0
Outside larp, Papers Please is a famous video game about immigration in a dystopian (or realistic) future: http://papersplea.se/

There's probably tons more, that's just off the top of my head.

Aaron

Aaron Vanek

Feb 13, 2018, 3:26:28 PM2/13/18
to Games for Change
And I just heard about this mobile (text) game about a Syrian refugee: http://burymemylove.arte.tv/

Aaron

daniela de angeli

Feb 20, 2018, 11:14:02 AM2/20/18
to Games for Change
Thank you everybody for the amazing suggestions!

Jay Japra

Feb 21, 2018, 10:36:13 AM2/21/18
to Games for Change
iCivics is gaining a lot of traction and already one of the more popular educational game site for teaching how democracy works.

Kurosh ValaNejad

Andrei Olaru

Feb 22, 2018, 2:12:10 PM2/22/18
to Games for Change
Hi there,

The first title that comes to mind is Democracy 3 (of course Democracy 2 and 1 are also on the list, but they are just less-polished version of the third instalment in the series).

There are many games out there that have as a purpose to influence socio-political behavior. For example, me and some friends are developing a game that tackles the issue of terrorism as an answer to authority abuse (It is called "Interrogation", you can find it here: https://critique-gaming.com/interrogation) in an attempt to change the popularity of "War on Terror"-like policies.

Best,
Andrei

Jason Anderson

Feb 22, 2018, 4:19:29 PM2/22/18
to daniela de angeli, Games for Change
It's a bit dated now, but "A Force More Powerful" was produced in 2006 by Breakaway Games. It takes the player through a series of steps to use non-violent protest to overthrow a dictatorial regime.

http://www.breakawaygames.com/#portfolio

The trailer is at that site. The main game site -- www.afmpgame.com -- is no longer hosting it, but you might contact Breakaway Games to obtain a copy of it.

Any Steam subscribers out there who could check if "A Force More Powerful" is available there?

Good luck,
Jason

For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/gamesforchange?hl=en

By opting into this Google Group, you are also opting into our bi-monthly newsletter which we will send to you via the e-mail address you are using for the Google Group.

---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Games for Change" group.

playle...@gmail.com

Feb 26, 2018, 11:27:42 AM2/26/18
to Games for Change
I did a little searching and found the website here: http://www.aforcemorepowerful.org/game/index.php and it looks like the game has been retired due to compatibility issues. (Not surprising of course)

The good news is how they created a new game called People Power which may do the trick as well. http://www.peoplepowergame.com/

Jeremy

On Tuesday, February 13, 2018 at 1:25:02 AM UTC, daniela de angeli wrote:

[...]

Lilly L

Apr 11, 2018, 9:53:53 AM4/11/18
to Games for Change
John Hunter created the "World Peace Game" which is a classroom simulation game and unusually young target audience (4th graders): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_UTgoPUTLQ

Path Out, by a Syrian: http://path-out.net/

Thomas J. Allen

Apr 16, 2018, 9:47:58 AM4/16/18
to Lilly L, Games for Change
Anyone know how to reach John Hunter?  He might like War of Awards, especially after seeing this year's show and how conflict was resolved by parties who had no way of finding common ground based on experience.

Thomas J. Allen
President/Executive Director
War of Awards
301.437.7880 | https://warofawards.org