An Invitation - Maelstrom (Gaming Convention) April 10 - 12, Morristown NJ

Avonelle Wing

Mar 24, 2015, 4:28:32 PM3/24/15
to gamesfo...@googlegroups.com
Dear Games for Change developers? participants? people!

Double Exposure would like to invite you to join us for Maelstrom 2015.

Maelstrom is a small convention with a strong history of tackling social equity topics, through games and panel programming.

Our community has taken a stand and made it clear that they demand diversity and also open dialogue about privilege in gaming. I must admit that while I'm doing the work to coordinate the convention, I'm responding to the community and their awareness that this is an important topic.

We've been running conventions for 20+ years, and we've always worked hard to foster a safe, welcoming, accommodating environment. In the last several years, it has become clear to me that passively providing the community isn't enough.

 At Metatopia 2013, we ran a series of panels on "otherness" and gaming - Gaming as Other: Race in Gaming, Women in Gaming - Creating safe and inclusive environments, Challenging the Dominant Narrative, Including Alternate Sexual and Gender Identities in your Game Design, Mental Health in Gaming and others - and Maelstrom is born out of the momentum from Metatopia's panels. We walked out of that convention knowing that we could do more, and determined to do so.

We would love for you to join us. In exchange for putting your games up for consideration for inclusion in our electronic gaming room, we will provide free badges to the event, which opens at 6pm on Friday night and runs through 7pm on Sunday. (April 10 - 12, 2015)

More info is available at:
http://dexposure.com/ms2015.html

You can email me directly at avon...@dexposure.com if you have questions.

--Avie