Old GLUG list

Gerard Ryan

Aug 22, 2012, 11:37:30 AM8/22/12
to other
Hi modern day GLUGgers,

I was quietly going about my business on the world wide web, when I
came across what I assume is the old Galway LUG list[0]. There don't seem
to be any recent posts of any relevance, just the odd spam.

Should I send a message to it to let anybody there know that this is
where the action is at? Or should we move there? There are other
Irish LUG groups on that server[1], some active, some not.

Gerard Ryan :: ger...@ryan.lt :: http://blog.grdryn.me :: @grdryn
PGP Fingerprint: AA11 A666 C98E B6D8 231C 11ED 6EDC 7E4A 62BC 4A15

Andrew Gallagher

Aug 22, 2012, 12:02:56 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Gerard Ryan wrote:
> Or should we move there? There are other
> Irish LUG groups on that server[1], some active, some not.

I maintain mailman lists on a professional basis. I wouldn't do it for
fun, that's all I'm saying...

Andrew.

Padraic Harley

Aug 22, 2012, 12:08:22 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Similar opinion here!

I think that Google Groups is easier to join and maintain on a casual
basis than having to mind mailman.

I've emailed some friends who I know do ILUG stuff to see how the place
is getting on. Would love to hear more from that group in general.

Cheers,
Padraic
--
Padraic Harley

Phone: +353 (0)85 213 8803
Email: paurict...@gmail.com
Tweet: @pauricthelodger

Gerard Ryan

Aug 22, 2012, 12:36:30 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 05:08:22PM +0100, Padraic Harley wrote:
>Similar opinion here!
>
>I think that Google Groups is easier to join and maintain on a casual
>basis than having to mind mailman.

I'd be less sure that it's easier to join. If you have a Google
account, yes; if not, then it's not at all obvious to me from looking
at the 'new' Google Groups, how to actually join a list. With mailmain
it's that's a lot more obvious imho.
This came up recently when there was someone on IRC who wanted to join
the 091labs-public list but didn't have a Google account, and refused
to sign up for one. It took a while of asking around before I got an
answer, but I can't remember what that was now, and can't see from the
site.

I can't speak for maintaining mailman lists, since I've never done any.

>I've emailed some friends who I know do ILUG stuff to see how the
>place is getting on. Would love to hear more from that group in
>general.
>
>Cheers,
>Padraic
>
>On 22/08/12 17:02, Andrew Gallagher wrote:
>>Gerard Ryan wrote:
>>>Or should we move there? There are other
>>>Irish LUG groups on that server[1], some active, some not.
>>
>>I maintain mailman lists on a professional basis. I wouldn't do it
>>for fun, that's all I'm saying...
>>
>>Andrew.
>>

>--
>Padraic Harley
>
>Phone: +353 (0)85 213 8803
>Email: paurict...@gmail.com
>Tweet: @pauricthelodger

Andrew Gallagher

Aug 22, 2012, 12:42:55 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Gerard Ryan wrote:

> I can't speak for maintaining mailman lists, since I've never done any.

Let's put it this way: the only way to give admin/moderator access to
someone else is to email them the password. THE password.

Andrew.

Gerard Ryan

Aug 22, 2012, 12:52:28 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
>--

;D

I love how some mailman lists I'm on also send me MY password on the
first of the month too.

Andrew Gallagher

Aug 22, 2012, 2:10:15 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Gerard Ryan wrote:

> I love how some mailman lists I'm on also send me MY password on the
> first of the month too.

lists.bofh.it? Amateurs...

Andrew.

Gerard Ryan

Aug 22, 2012, 4:47:09 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com

Frantisek Apfelbeck

Aug 22, 2012, 7:33:25 PM8/22/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi to all,
It may be hard to find a responsible person to watch over the mailing list but if you find one I think it is great option. I kind feel it is more independent, which may not be based on reality it is just the feal. I had few times problem to join some group because they wanted me to "sign up" for various services which I was not interested in.

Best of luck with the Galway Linux group, I had a great fun there in my times, really nice people!

Sincerely,

Frantisek Algoldor Apfelbeck

biotechnologist&kvasir and hacker

"There is no way to peace, peace is the way." Ghandi

PGP Fingerprint: AA11 A666 C98E B6D8 231C 11ED 6EDC 7E4A 62BC 4A15