kernel patching/committing how-to article

1 view

Gerard Ryan

Mar 24, 2012, 3:31:11 PM3/24/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Hi luggers,

I meant to post this a while back, but...forgot. Was talking to Anthony
yesterday and it came up so here it is!
It's an article from the Linux Format magazine, written by Greg
Kroah-Hartman, going through everything you need to know to make your
first commit to the linux kernel. Even if you don't have anything you
want to patch, but are familiar with C, there's still stuff you can do.

I spent an evening going through it a couple of weeks/months ago, and
got my first commit accepted! If I can do it, then it's not too difficult!

http://www.linuxformat.com/includes/download.php?PDF=LXF129.kernel.pdf

--
Gerard Ryan :: ger...@ryan.lt :: http://gerard.ryan.lt/blog
PGP/GPG: AA11 A666 C98E B6D8 231C 11ED 6EDC 7E4A 62BC 4A15

Nicola Di Marzo

Apr 23, 2012, 8:08:23 AM4/23/12
to 091labs...@googlegroups.com, galwa...@googlegroups.com
Yeah party, i'll aim to Xubuntu 12.04 for my netbook...i'm really bored by unity.

I'm tryng ubuntu studio 12.04 RC live-usb now and it works perfectly.
It comes out with XFCE that i really love it (for all the gnome2 lovers).
Audio section it's been completely updated, every software is at last version.
The kernel is a 3.0 lowlatency.testing:
http://iso.qa.ubuntu.com/

Il 23/04/2012 11:39, Aaron Hastings ha scritto:
Going through my old unread emails from exam time so apologies for the delay...

The next GLUG is on May 8th, I believe. How about attempting something like this?

We'll also have Ubuntu 12.04 discs (hopefully - Padraic said he'd contact Ubuntu Ireland, or I can do so) so that we can do an install fest.

Aaron

\n\n

2012/3/24 Ant�in �g � Cuinneag�in <anthony.c...@gmail.com>

Gerard sent thus to glug.� I think some people here might also be interested

�---------------------------------
Sent from a robotic mobile platform

"Happiness only real when shared"
C. J. McCandless

Gerard Ryan

Apr 28, 2012, 2:31:34 PM4/28/12
to 091labs...@googlegroups.com, galwa...@googlegroups.com
According to calendar on 091labs.com, next GLUG is on the 2nd, not 8th. Not 100% sure if I'll make it myself yet, with exams on at the moment! Can anyone confirm the date?

As far as I can remember, the hardest parts of this were just getting used to the coding style, and trying to make sure the patch email was ok for submission.

I'm sending this conversation back to the GLUG list too (galwa...@googlegroups.com). I think our GLUG-related ramblings would be better placed there, so we're not spamming the people on 091labs-public who don't care about it :)

Gerard.
@grdryn

2012/3/24 Antóin Óg Ó Cuinneagáin <anthony.c...@gmail.com>

Gerard sent thus to glug.  I think some people here might also be interested

—---------------------------------

Sent from a robotic mobile platform

Apr 28, 2012, 6:48:10 PM4/28/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
I would like to hear some more about this... See some code, steps you took...

If I don't remember wrong the meetings are on the first Wednesday of every month and assuming that the calender is automated, next meeting is this Wednesday. Can you make it?

Gerard Ryan

Apr 28, 2012, 8:29:46 PM4/28/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
> I would like to hear some more about this... See some code, steps you
> took...

I really just followed the steps in that pdf, and read all of the stuff
it says you need to know about (can't remember all of it now even). Most
important I think are Documentation/CodingStyle (some parts of this are
quite entertaining iirc) and Documentation/SubmittingPatches.

I will try my best to be there on Wednesday for a while. I don't know
how much more I could tell ye about this than what's in the article
though. I only did it once and it was a while ago now, so a lot of it is
probably gone from my memory! If any of ye try it though, I'd be happy
to try to answer any questions ye have!

One thing I would say that the article isn't very clear on -- when you
get to the part:
$ git send-email [...]

make sure you set the smtp settings, otherwise there's a good chance
that it will end up in the spam folder of many of the intended
recipients (this happened to me, patch never got posted on the kernel
devel lists).

PS: wrt the mention of XFCE when this was on the other list, XFCE 4.10
was released yesterday!

Carles Sentis

Apr 30, 2012, 7:44:59 PM4/30/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
Actually something came up and I won't be able to make it for the meeting.. :-(

Nicola Di Marzo

May 1, 2012, 7:19:01 AM5/1/12
to galwa...@googlegroups.com
I 'll be there for the glug meeting ;-)