Make it possible for galaxy node to bind on free port

Sergey Stupin

Nov 13, 2015, 5:26:38 AM11/13/15
to galaxy-user
Hey, guys.
There is a property of Galaxy node - galaxy.port. If I set it to 0 then in theory my galaxy node should bind to free UDP port to communicate with other nodes. I could make some fixes to publish the actual port on which UdpServer was bound in ZooKeeper cluster instead of 0 value.
Is it a good idea to make this possible? Actually what I want to do is to start new galaxy nodes without property files. So I need to make Galaxy properties galaxy.nodeId and galaxy.port dynamic. It helps me to start new nodes without file like peer1.properties.

circlespainter

Nov 15, 2015, 10:09:07 AM11/15/15
to galaxy-user
Hi Sergey,

I'm not (yet) very knowledgeable in Galaxy and related topics so you'll get a better discussion in a week (or so) with more expert people.

Anyway, right now I can't think of drawbacks in having the choice of firing up a configuration-free cluster with dynamic ports and ids, yet what's the use case you had in mind? Is that for testing only or production too?

-- Fabio

Sergey Stupin

Nov 15, 2015, 10:14:38 AM11/15/15
to galax...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Fabio. It's supposed to be used in production. We wanna be able to easily scale our cluster if current power is not enough for handling requests.
Anyway it's great feature for testing too. So If you just don't care about configuration - then you simply start galaxy nodes, run your tests and that's all.
Sometimes it's really a mess to deal with creating and loading those peer configuration properties files in any environment.

Best regards,
Stupin Sergey.

Eric Hubbard

Apr 27, 2017, 3:36:50 PM4/27/17
to galaxy-user
100% agree...

And then take the IP:PORT and create a node id from it -- so we don't have to configure that either..:)