Galaxy and FP

Brendan Loudermilk

Aug 25, 2012, 2:49:23 PM8/25/12
to galax...@googlegroups.com
Is Galaxy compatible with Functional Programming languages on the JVM? Specifically, I'm interested in using it with Clojure. My concern is that the design of Galaxy isn't compatible with Clojure's immutable data structures.

Any guidance is appreciated. I'm still learning the basics of Galaxy (and Clojure for that matter).

Best,
Brendan

pron

Aug 26, 2012, 12:13:13 AM8/26/12
to galax...@googlegroups.com
It is absolutely compatible.

For their large-scale, shared data, even functional languages use mutable data structures. Erlang has ets; Clojure has refs.
Galaxy is meant to be used as the application's central data repository, to be read and written by many threads hosted on many machines, and is therefore – like ets and refs – mutable.
Like Clojure's refs, Galaxy's items are modified within transactions, so it might be a good idea to implement distributed Clojure refs with Galaxy.

Ron

bloudermilk

Aug 27, 2012, 12:17:19 AM8/27/12
to galax...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ron,

Thanks for the insight. I'm hope to dive into the library soon!