3D Printer filament

GRB352

Sep 24, 2014, 6:30:07 PM9/24/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hey I used (up) one of the rolls that was sitting near the old 3d printer up at HS and was going to order a replacement.  Any color request or should I just get the same color as what I used up (white)

My previous filament supplier, filamentcentral.com (also in FL) decided to raise their price (now $28.96+S&H instead of $27 shipped) so I ordered a roll each from 3 different suppliers that allow for bulk ordering to see about quality, I will order a replacement rolls from the supplier that works out the best when I place a bulk order (not huge, maybe 10-15 rolls)

If anyone is interested in rolls let me know before I order, prob in the $25< area. Once I have them in stock I'll sell them for $30

Also if anyone knows a local source, or starts to see them locally please let me know. I know home depot, staples, and office depot all have plans to carry it in the future, but so far I haven't seen it.

maureen reschly

Sep 24, 2014, 10:14:12 PM9/24/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Don't know which type you all are using but it looks like the PLA is less of a health risk than ABS and it appears to be the same price at filamentcentral.
3-D Printing Is Getting Huge Hype, But It Could Be One Massive Health Risk | Alternet

This Momsplanation  (similar to mansplanation but by a mom!-I think my son coined this term; ) brought to you free by a concerned and probably clueless MOM.  Now, its getting cooler outside-remember to wear your wool sweaters!
:) maureen

GRB352

Christopher Hoffman

Sep 25, 2014, 6:42:53 PM9/25/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
There have been studies about the effect of ABS on industrial ABS factory workers that found that after decades it could cause harm, but nothing conclusive about home printers and low exposure. As long as you don't extrude ABS into your lungs, you should be fine, but it is a good reminder that you should be wary of the potential effects of new technology.

About the smell, ABS can smell really bad to some people, and if you have a bad supplier it can only amplify the smell. I have my printer printer ABS in my bedroom, and I can't even notice a smell, the hairspray on the heatbed gives off more then the ABS. All depends on your olfactory receptors.

As for the color, I would love to see some of the clear or translucent filaments, though those tend to be more more expensive. White or black is always classy.

GRB352

Sep 26, 2014, 9:34:23 PM9/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I aggree that some really neat stuff could be done with some of the clear/traslucent filaments...This in particular seems neat
http://www.3ders.org/articles/20140925-3d-printing-optical-lenses-on-the-form-3d-printer.html

one the downside, you can see through it to the fill and for lots things that es no Bueno.

black and white I agree are the most useful. Black is the easiest for manufactures to cheap out on, so if you are ordering from a questionable supplier you don't want to start with black.

I just got a new roll in from first new supplier, the spool has a misshapen hole. It wobbles as it feeds and all my prints are bloby (so far). Also the package arrived $.95 postage due. While that supplier gets points for speed, I am not overawed by anything else so far. This filament might just need different settings, so there is still hope. Hopefully another spool from another supplier will arrive tomorrow.

GRB352

Sep 26, 2014, 9:37:19 PM9/26/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Also if anyone knows a local source, or starts to see them locally please let me know. I know home depot, staples, and office depot all have plans to carry it in the future, but so far I haven't seen it.

I wonder if the guys from the Filastruder (a Gainesville kickstart) are selling rolls.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/833191773/filastruder-a-robust-inexpensive-filament-extruder

that would be nice.

GRB352

Oct 30, 2014, 2:29:03 PM10/30/14
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
This was the best deal on filament I could find. The filament arrived and seems to be decent quality.
http://r.ebay.com/OCJd0g

No need to purchase in bulk, as their price is only $1 less at Q10.  I usually have extra rolls, but they will be $5 more so order your own for the best price.

Right now they are having 10% off 3 or more rolls but it wont last forever.

GRB352

Jul 1, 2015, 2:44:50 PM7/1/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Ebay seller campus111 is where I've been buying my filament lately. I just noticed they lowered the price on some of their colors.orange, green and yellow are now $16.99/kg and the buy 3 get 10% off is still in effect.