Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Week of April 17, 2018

Daniel Crews

Apr 16, 2018, 12:28:31 AM4/16/18
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hey Hackers!

This week we have our Monthly Demo Night at 7 PM in the West Shop (6th Street Location). Currently we have a presentations on the "D Programming language and ASN.1 library" and " Gḷ̫̔͘ì̘tch͈́ T̳̊͒͢ext Gene̦̲͂͝r̜͓̔͞a̧͑tio͍͌n and Unicode " scheduled.  If anyone else wants to demo something please sign up here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-UJ7cw7aybOafCrzJn52sLGE-21Mpr8T9u8bZNJJHM/edit#gid=1719295911

This will be my first time running demo night, so please bear with me as I refine the procedures. But I plan to keep people as tightly to their assigned time frame as possible so that we can get all the demos done in a reasonable fashion and further discussion can happen during the open house afterwards.

Also, please see my email about Area Champions and let us know if you think you could be one!

Calendar

  • Tuesday (4/17)
    • 7pm - Monthly Demo Night! Everyone is welcome to join us at the West Shop (6th Street Location) for our April Demo Night! We still have a few demo slots still open, so if you would like to give a demo/presentation/talk, you can sign up here! Our usual Open House will follow after the demos.
  • Tuesday (4/24)
    • 7pm - Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the West Shop (6th Street Location), meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want!
  • Wednesday (4/25)
    • 7pm - Cosplay Open Project Night!  Come one, come all! Cosplay Open Project Night is back, hosted by the Gainesville Hackerspace. Come join us at 7:00pm at the Gainesville Hackerspace for a chance to meet your fellow members of the cosplay community as well as work on projects, show off your stuff, and have a great time. Gainesville Hackerspace has sewing machines, 3d Printers, Laser Cutters, CNC Routers, Work Bench’s, and more for you to use. There will also be snacks and coffee for the weary and local members of the Hackerspace for you to engage with.

Daniel Crews

Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace

secr...@gainesvillehackerspace.org

Robert Munyer

Apr 16, 2018, 11:32:19 PM4/16/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
> Currently we have a presentations on the "D Programming language and
> ASN.1 library" and " Glitch Text Generation and Unicode " scheduled.

The latter reminds me of CVE-2009-3376, found in 2009 [1], explained well by
Krebs in 2011 [2], xkcd'ed in 2012 [3], still catching victims in 2018! [4].

[1] https://www.cvedetails.com/cve/CVE-2009-3376/
[2] https://krebsonsecurity.com/2011/09/right-to-left-override-aids-email-attacks/
[3] https://www.xkcd.com/1137/
[4] https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/02/13/telegram_messaging_app_bug/