Draftsight Workshop Announcement

GRB352

Jan 19, 2015, 10:23:11 PM1/19/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm not great about organizing things, but I've been ask by many members and guests over the last few months on CAD, and 2D/3D design. I would really like to do some pay classes, but I don't think my organizational skills are quite up to it yet so lets start with a free (or maybe class pizza contribution)

Class tittle something like "Practical CAD for 2D-3D design"

This wont be a class on how to use the CNC (though some info on that will be included)
This wont be a class on how to use the 3D printer (video's on that coming soon)
This will be a class on how to measure something physical and put it in draftsight to design around.

It will start with a Video prerequisite:

Followed by everyone drawing the same demo piece while I talk about how to measure and enter the dimensions

Each person brings and item with them. This item can be a part of a project you had in mind, or a part you want to design.

By the time the class is over you should have a design for 3d printing or 2D CNC.

I think the first class should be members only while I work on the "delivery of education" process.

For the CNC projects its best if we, one on one, cut them out together. For the 3D printing projects, I may need to do another class on finishing that up.

GRB352

Jan 19, 2015, 10:27:27 PM1/19/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking a Thursday Maybe the 29th after work. 6 or 7 ish.

GRB352

Jan 26, 2015, 4:22:12 PM1/26/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Thursday 6pm

You will need:
a windows or linux system with draftsight preloaded
a digital caliper (available at Harbor Freight or http://r.ebay.com/NMRfwg)
a item to measure and CAD
$5/towards a pizza.
Your own beverages

We will start with a projected demonstration of the finial step from 2D-DXF to CNC-Router in CAMBam (and CNC table)
then a demonstration of the finial step from 2D-DXF to 3D STL.

We will also discuss some of the limits for each, and how to plan for them while making our CAD file.

Then we will make a CAD together on the projector, as I talk about how to do it. Showing all my draftsight tips and tricks. Maybe show some of my designs and how/why I did things.

Then everyone can measure their item and start to build their CAD. As any interesting questions come up, I will address them on the projector so everyone can learn from the answer.

Once everyone is finished with that, I figure people will be ready to go, but I will talk more on OpenSCAD if there is time. I think an entire 2nd workshop on that might be useful.

Randy Fischer

Jan 26, 2015, 4:37:41 PM1/26/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 4:22 PM, GRB352 <gregoryro...@gmail.com> wrote:
a item to measure and CAD

Then we will make a CAD together on the projector, as I talk about how to do it. Showing all my draftsight tips and tricks. Maybe show some of my designs and how/why I did things.

Then everyone can measure their item and start to build their CAD. As any interesting questions come up, I will address them on the projector so everyone can learn from the answer.

I'm not sure I'm parsing this right - in the first instance, it's a verb and following instances a noun?

Robert Burns

Jan 26, 2015, 4:41:25 PM1/26/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Noun both times.

GRB352

GRB352

Jan 30, 2015, 3:36:43 PM1/30/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I had a request for a sample SCAD file that handled the DXF file importing as described at the workshop, and I thought others might have a use for it.

-----
The attached DWG file is work drawing used to make the DXF exports. The rar file contains several exported DXFs and sample SCAD file (a lightweight zip-tie mount for a Arduino Mega 2560)

It uses both the:

union () {
%shapes to join%
}

and

difference () {
%shape1%
%shapes to cut away from shape1%

       union () {
     %shapes to join%
     //nesting is ok this would subtract the union from shape1
      }

}

be sure to mind the close tag at the end of those.

The SCAD file also has several DXF imports
dxf_linear_extrude(file="FILENAME.DXF", height=%height in mm%);

Some of the code has comments explaining what it is, but you can use # and ! in front of a line and then recompile to highlight in the render window what that code is for (! renders only that line).
ie.
#translate([2.64,15.16,0]) cylinder(r=r, h=h);

modifiers you need to be dangerous.
translate([%X%,%Y%,%Z%])       ie translate([2.64,15.16,0])
rotate([%X%,%Y%,%Z%])           ie rotate([0,0,90])
scale([%X%,%Y%,%Z%])            ie  scale([1.2,1.2, 1.18])

also usefull
import("filename.stl");

lots more can be found here:

GRB352