walmarts?

Randy Fischer

Feb 5, 2015, 3:09:57 PM2/5/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
huh.  what a hacker space *that* would make.... don't we have one of these old walmarts around?

Brian Bartholomew

Feb 5, 2015, 3:39:04 PM2/5/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/02/04/1362304/-Texas-town-comes-up-with-the-best-use-for-an-old-Walmart
>
> huh. what a hacker space *that* would make....
> don't we have one of these old walmarts around?

Now an odd lots clothing store, Bell's or somesuch, on 13th Street
across from Lowe's, may already be open.

Given that it took ten years for Walmart to get the city to allow it
to rearrange its store locations, I don't think you'll ever get
planning permission to do this.

The former J.M. Fields department store, then Pic N' Save department
store, one block South next to Godfather's pizza has been a vacant
space for, what, 40 years? You should look into what has caused that
space to be vacant for so long.

Another of my local planning stories concerns the former Moose club on
23rd Avenue, which I grew up a few blocks away from. When the Moose
ran it it was a dinner/dancing club. More recently, the city did not
allow it to be reopened as a dancing/dinner club for local folk
dancing. I'm not saying the city would permit it to be opened if the
fixtures were updated to modern ADA standards; I'm saying they would
not permit it at all. I think one of the zoning complaints was
parking and traffic. However, that building is supplied by a large
amount of grass parking space, enough they once had a baseball field
in the corner away from the parking.

Brian

Brian Bartholomew

Feb 5, 2015, 3:44:35 PM2/5/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Also the Lowe's building on Waldo road. It was a flea
market for awhile, but now I think it's vacant.

Brian

Jason Monsorno

Feb 5, 2015, 5:11:20 PM2/5/15
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
FYI, NW 13th St WalMart is now Burlington Coat Factory which is open
and Ross which is Coming Soon