Hackerspace Organization

Daniel Smith

Oct 25, 2016, 11:11:56 AM10/25/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Hackerspace Organization

As per my presentation last Tuesday, below are is the suggested optimized layout for the hackerspace. I want to open a public conversation about this layout to get everyone thoughts on this. I have outlined the changed below and their reasoning. Furthermore, I will offer my personal time to help complete any changes we as a group decide on.

Please keep in mind, this is just a suggested direction forward. I value everyones input on this idea and changes to this plan will be made to facilitate everyones needs through the iterative process. No move in this plan is permanent (we can always simply change it back if it does not work out), No item will cost us money (we already have everything we need),  and No commitments (we already have several members willing to help make the changes so no need to give up your BBQ on the weekend).

Outline

This layout optimized the furniture and equipment we have by organizing them into 4 areas

·      Work Space

·      Storage Space

·      Machine Space

·      Presentation Space

Work Space

The Work Space will have the biggest changes. We would arrange the tables into 4 identical stations (Station#1, Station #2, etc.). Each of these stations would be identical with magnifying lamps, Tools on the board, etc. Each of these stations would be open to use by all members at any time unless the table is reserved. Reservations would be made on a calendar (That I can donate) that would be located on the wall near the entrance. Any member would be able to reserve a table for up to 7 days  before being required to clean it off.

·    Projects, tools or equipment left on stations that are not attended or reserved will be either returned to its proper location or set into the “Lost and Found” box.

These changes will allow every member equal access to work tables for their projects and prevent buildup of junk or squatting.

Electronics Station

The current soldering table would be moved to replace the “drill press” table. This move will put the station closer to the wall where the majority of the electronic components area while also separating the station to its own area. A second table might be considered to host the testing equipment (oscilloscope, signal generator, etc.)

Storage Space

The storage places would remain the same in this plan. However, I would consider holding a cleaning party every three months.

Machine Space

The machine space would be expanded to incorporate another table for the drill press’s and sander in the corner. This will allow for our machines to operate in the vented section of hackerspace. We would also add another table next to the 3d printer that would hold the computer, extra storage, and workspace for 3D printed projects.

Presentation Space

The Presentation space would be our place for collaborations, presentations and demo’s. The Podium, speakers and screen would be moved against the mirror. This would allow for more people to attend a presentation. Currently during demo night, people are left standing in the back and we have a difficult time getting everyone in, this layout will maximize the space and allow use to get everyone a seat. This move could potentially allow us to get more speakers to come to hackerspace.

Additional Changes

·      Projector AV Cables will be run properly over the ceiling and down the wall and up into the podium to eliminated hanging wires.

·      An overhead light (it is already there) will be moved over the podium to illuminate the speakers while giving demos/talks.

·      Power cables for 3d printing area will be reworked to make outlets more accessible, but not in the way.

·      The computer stations in the center of hackerspace will remain unchanged.

The Goal

Our goal should be to allow any member to walk into our location and begin work in a clean and organized environment. We have so many amazing members with incredible skills and remarkable equipment. This layout will promote creativity and collaboration so everyone can build, hack and make. Additionally, this layout will allow us to easily facilitate many more members to our community in the future.

We are all hackers and this is our hackerspace, so let’s Hack-Our-Space.

Dan Stoner

Oct 25, 2016, 7:29:30 PM10/25/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I'm not (yet) a member, but those sound like great changes and make the space more attractive to potential new members.

- Dan Stoner

Randy Fischer

Oct 25, 2016, 7:36:38 PM10/25/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 11:11 AM, Daniel Smith <daniel.smith...@gmail.com> wrote:

Any member would be able to reserve a table for up to 7 days  before being required to clean it off.

I personally think that's far too long.  Actually, I buy lots of the Ikea Samla boxes, with these inserts so I really don't understand why anyone couldn't clear their stuff off into a project box (I admit I have far too many project boxes, but that only underlines my concern).

barbara beck

Nov 16, 2016, 9:42:25 AM11/16/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
FYI-we are ready to remove our bikes from the workspace as we are satisfied with the work done to make the electronics durable and versatile.  We are moving on to other educational projects.

Liza Kholodkova

Nov 16, 2016, 11:56:51 AM11/16/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Hey Daniel,
I'm down to make these changes this weekend. Are you free this weekend to reorganize and throw away stuff?
I think it's been long enough for people to voice their opinions and most people welcome the changes.

Christopher Hoffman

Nov 16, 2016, 12:49:26 PM11/16/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I'll be available this weekend to help out!

rfEngineers

Nov 16, 2016, 2:30:51 PM11/16/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Does anyone have a USB power monitor device that I can borrow for a few
hours?

I'm looking for something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Eversame-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Capacitance-Charging/dp/B01D9Y6Z1G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1479324574&sr=8-1&keywords=eversame+digital+multi

Thanks,

Joe DiPietro

---

GRB352

Nov 16, 2016, 2:31:54 PM11/16/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I'm good with any changes. just keep the 3d printers near the 3d printer computer. And keep the 3d printers with heated build plates near the ventilation system. (to vent ABS fumes)

Liza Kholodkova

Nov 16, 2016, 3:05:03 PM11/16/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Can you post this on fb group? My roommate might have something like this and I want to tag him on the post.