Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Dec 3rd - New Location Recap, Members Projects, and Board Meetings!

Christopher Hoffman

Dec 3, 2017, 9:27:03 PM12/3/17
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers!

Its time for the weekly digest!

New Location Update:
Last week we met to discuss and vote our new location. After much discussion, a motion to 'Move from the Sun Center into the 6th street location (2803 NW 6th Street), while keeping the North Shop' was made, and was approved with a 11-2 vote by the voting members. We have not yet received our 30-day notice from the Sun Center Management, but the determination was made to not wait for official notice before beginning the move. There was concern about operating at a loss if we keep the North Shop, so that decision will be reevaluated at our annual meeting in Q1 next year. The current owner will need a few weeks to move his equipment out, so this gives us time to start planning the move. We'll be discussing how to begin that process during the Board Meeting this Tuesday.

Thank you everyone for helping find us a new home! Its been an interesting last few months, but I feel its the beginning of the next chapter of our organization.

New Members Welcome
Last week we voted in 3 new members; Logan A., Daniel D, and Richard S. Welcome to the Hackerspace! Be sure to introduce yourselves to the new members when you see them. And yes, that brings us up to 5 Daniels. About 10% of our membership are Daniels. Fun fact of the week.

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (12/05/2017)
    • 6pm: Monthly Board Meeting. All are welcome to attend and listen to updates from the board members. Minutes will be posted afterwards as always.
    • 7pm: Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the Downtown Location, meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want!
      • Voting Members: We have two applications to vote on this week, the usual details are in the email.

Misc:

Member Highlights:

No automatic alt text available.

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, sky, closeup and outdoor
  • And I proposed to my girlfriend! ^_^ And, being a maker, I had to propose with a ring I made myself. I designed it in Onshape, 3D printed it with a castable resin on my Nobel 1.0a, and worked with a local jeweler to make the investment mold, cast it, set the diamond, and do all the finishing/polishing. It was a lot of fun, so expect a Demo night presentation soon with all the details of that project. I also have a lot of the castable resin left, so if anyone wants to work on a jewelry project, let me know!

And that wraps it up for this weeks digest! Keep on hacking!

Christopher Hoffman
Secretary, Gainesville Hackerspace