Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Jan 21, 2018 - Let the Workshops Begin, CAD on Thurs!

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 21, 2018, 9:42:30 PM1/21/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers,

Last Tuesday was incredible! For our first Demo Night at the 6th street shop, we had 29 people attend! Thank you very much Allen, Joe, and the Swampbots Highschool Robotics team for presenting, and thank you everyone who came out and attended. If you would like to sign up for February's Demo night, you can sign up here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1z-UJ7cw7aybOafCrzJn52sLGE-21Mpr8T9u8bZNJJHM/edit#gid=710456081

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (1/23)
    • 7pm - Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the West Shop (6th Street Location), meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want!
      • Voting Members: We have 1 application on the docket Tuesday. Check your usual emails.
  • Thursday (1/25)
    • 7pm - Intro to 3D Modeling & CAD using Onshape Workshop
      • The first class of this years workshop series, Christopher Hoffman will be teaching a free workshop on learning how to 3D model using Onshape, a free browser based CAD program. Its like the Google Docs of Computer Aided Design! You can find more information and RSVP at: https://www.facebook.com/events/1780811175292087/
Misc:
  • 3 new Hackers!
    • Last week we voted in 3 new members. Give a warm hackerspace welcome to Rachel Y., Nick B., and John S. when you see them around the space!
  • Want to teach a class?
    • There are a few class slots open in February, if you would like to teach a class/workshop you can sign up here, and I will take care of all the facebook/meetup event creation. Lets share our knowledge!
  • Still looking for Makers for the first Gainesville Mini Maker Faire!
  • Members, join our Slack Chatroom!
    • Slack is awesome, think of it as a modern-day IRC room. Its a great way to chat just between members. We'd had a good number of members join, if you are an active member and didn't receive an invite, let me know! You can also sign up if you have an @gainesvillehackerspace.org email address.
    • https://gvillehackerspace.slack.com/