Deltabot Dremel PCB Engraver WIP

GRB352

Jul 14, 2016, 10:20:58 PM7/14/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
The results making single sided PCB's on the fireball have been mixed. So after the last near success here recently with Eddie, I thought I would take one of my "learning builds" that has been collecting dust, and slap a dremel to it and see how it worked out.
https://youtu.be/WMH_zVaLY_c

if I am happy with results with proper engraving bits, I will add a button panel like this one to make the "selective autolevel" real easy to use:
https://youtu.be/j-SOWRaqiqE

This feature was BrianB's Idea and is what I used to make this cutting board this past Christmas, I just added some firmware magic to make it work with button panel.

I also want to add a button that gets pressed with the tool tip after auto level this will adjust for different bit lengths.

Next iteration, I might leave the servo mounted where it is, but move the mounting for the arms up farther from the tip to counter all that top heaviness. The would complicate things, but it would be more balanced and I don't need all of the z height.

GRB352

Jul 16, 2016, 3:56:45 PM7/16/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
If anyone has one of these sitting in a drawer somewhere collecting dust, I know a guy who could make good use of it,

GRB352

Jul 26, 2016, 4:19:18 PM7/26/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Does anyone else have a dremel flex with this part? see here at time index 4:04 they attach a part that I do not have.

I just talked to Eddie and he wont make it tonight, and I'll probably stay home if there is no reason to bring this project out and my other projects are not quite ready to show for suggestions. (esp8266 robot, 3d printer with "delta lift")

I have a dremel flex, borrowed from Eddie last week. Way lighter.  I changed the part design to hang the tool lower from the effector. Between the lower center of gravity and the reduced weight of the flex attachment, I expect good results engraving PCBs. I might need to raise it back up to effector level but I need to try it out to see.

 It is hooked up and ready to go once I get the missing part.

GRB352

Aug 2, 2016, 6:47:43 PM8/2/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I am still missing a part for this, I might be able to purchase my own by next week.

rfEngineers

Aug 4, 2016, 2:35:04 PM8/4/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm placing an order with digikey.com for various and assorted
components. If anyone want to piggyback on my order we can split the
shipping.
I'm placing the order midday tomorrow (Friday) so please let me know
before then if you are interested.

Joe

---

GRB352

Aug 5, 2016, 12:37:14 AM8/5/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace, rfeng...@gmail.com
Hey thanks Joe!

The part I talk about missing here is a dremel part, and wont be at digikey, I'm deciding on if I can afford to purchase my own flex kit or hold off on that project another month or so. Dremelbot is pretty much ready to go. I added a button panel after salvaging what I could from that 1-wire ADC Keypad I was working on. so it has push-to-activate zprobing.

however I do need a few inexpensive parts so I sent you a PM with the details. (mostly keypad stuff)  I'll be in on Tuesday with or without my dremelbot.

The solder from Digikey seemed a bit pricey, does anyone have a goto place for solder? (My 2004 roll from RadioShack gave up on me finally)

Thanks again,
-Rob

GRB352

Aug 9, 2016, 8:45:11 AM8/9/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
DremelFlexBot has all needed parts and is packed in the car. Expect to see some engraving tonight ;-)

I will be there pretty early

Joseph DiPietro

Aug 9, 2016, 9:00:09 AM8/9/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace

Digikey order came in last night. Solder is not here yet.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2016, 8:45 AM GRB352 <gregoryro...@gmail.com> wrote:
DremelFlexBot has all needed parts and is packed in the car. Expect to see some engraving tonight ;-)

I will be there pretty early

GRB352

Aug 10, 2016, 9:40:05 AM8/10/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
DremelFlexBot is a success!!! Even though it very nearly wasn't. Apparently Dremel Flex was never meant to be mounted up like this, The threads at the tip of the flex, which is there to attach small accessories, became compressed when fully screwed onto the effector I designed. The collet (the part that holds the bit) is long, and fits inside those threads. The compressed plastic threads grips the collet. Just a pinch with your fingers is enough to stop the collet from spinning, and the dremel does NOT like that. (that's what the smoke means, right?)

So it was either try to redesign the part with less threads, looser threads, or something else to keep it from being compressed OR....cut the collet. if you look inside the collet, the rear section that is getting gripped by the plastic threads is just a useless metal tube. So I put the collet in the drill press, and Eddie held a file up to it while the drill spun it....sort of a poor mans lathe.

Now the short collet is no longer being compressed and DremelFlexBot engraved like a champ! By the time it was fixed it was late and I have no pictures :-( But now that I know it works, I have several improvements to make to the frame.

GRB352

Aug 11, 2016, 6:21:25 PM8/11/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Pictures or it didn't happen.  Liza was nice enough to take some pics for me.

This was .100mm layers, 3 layers (300 microns).  The near successes with the fireball were at .100mm  2 layers. (200 microns) . Look closely and you can see each line is really two lines. However the round parts at the center of the S are not very round. I might just need to slow it down, but I plan to replace the LM8UU/8mm rod linear guides with HIWIN rails the same time I upgrade the frame. That will make a huge difference.

Also the gocde I used was made by CamBam and isn't really made for Repetier Firmware. It throws out a ton of errors while it runs. I need to try the Repetier Plugin for Inkscape. It might draw Arcs differently or something.
https://www.repetier.com/repetier-g-code-plugin-for-inskscape/

A couple more pictures here:

Christopher Hoffman

Aug 11, 2016, 6:27:16 PM8/11/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Nice work! Glad to see its finally up and running!