Hackerspace Weekly Digest: Jan 1st, 2018 - New Year, New Us!

Christopher Hoffman

Jan 1, 2018, 8:24:07 PM1/1/18
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey Hackers!

It's now 2018, Happy New Year! Thanks to the endless efforts of our members and community, we have officially moved to our new location on NW 6th Street! Thank you everyone for helping move all the equipment from the basement of the Sun Center. Now we embark on everyone's favorite part of moving, organizing the piles of boxes and tools. If you have ideas on how things should be arranged and organized, leave a suggestion here on the Google Group. The old owner is still in the process of moving the rest of his items out of the back half of the building. Once he is down, we can decompress and start to move things to its final location.

Calendar:
  • Tuesday (1/2)
    • 6pm - Monthly Board Meeting: As we continue to grow as an organization, the Board is going to mature with it. We will be putting more of an effort to structuring these meetings, more closely following parliamentary procedures, and organizing and posting agendas (see below) before the meeting. Think of it as our new years resolution. These meetings will of course be open to anyone who wants to sit in. If an attendee wants to bring up new, non-agenda items before the Board during the meeting, we will be opening the floor the end of the meeting. This is opposed to the kind of free-form, who-wants-to-go-next style we have been following in past meetings.
    • 7pm - Weekly Open House! Everyone is welcome to join us at the West Shop (6th Street Location), meet our members, check out our space, and bring a project if you want!
      • Voting Members: We have 2 people on the docket tomorrow. Check your usual emails.
Misc:
  • Call for Makers for the Gainesville Mini Maker Faire is now open! If you are a maker, and want to showcase your stuff during the Mini Maker Faire on Feb 24th, visit the link to find more information and put in your application!
  • Members, join our Slack Chatroom! Slack is awesome, think of it as a modern-day IRC room. Its a great way to chat just between members. We'd had a good number of members join, if you are an active member and didn't receive an invite, let me know! You can also sign up if you have an @gainesvillehackerspace.org email address.

Board Meeting Agenda:
These are the outline of items to be discussed during the Board Meeting on Tuesday.

Old Business:
  • None
New Business:
  • President:
    • Finalizing Upcoming Events
  • Treasurer:
    • Defining rules on Delinquent Payments
      • Formalize Membership Status Classifications
    • Formalize Space Access Rules
    • Recommendations on Automatic Payments
    • Help with the Books - Opportunity for Volunteer CPA assistance
    • Official Documentation Updates
      • Board Office Manual Progress
      • Suggestion on Bylaw and Policy Updates for 2018
      • Membership Handbook
  • Secretary
    • Motion to require picture upload as part of application process
    • Replacement Wiki for the old wiki.skillhouse.org
    • Yearly Membership Demographic Information Update
  • Sargent-at-arms:
    • Discussion on Access Control
Open Floor:

Christopher Hoffman