Battery powered lawn mowers?

Daniel Crisman

Jul 15, 2016, 2:31:15 PM7/15/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

Anyone have any opinions/data/anecdotes on electric battery powered lawn mowers?

dc

Brian Bartholomew

Jul 15, 2016, 11:51:41 PM7/15/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
> Anyone have any
> opinions/data/anecdotes on electric battery powered lawn
> mowers?

Parents had an electric with a cord. Didn't have the horsepower of a gas,
but it sure was quiet.

Brian

Rick Fabiani

Jul 18, 2016, 10:39:42 AM7/18/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
They can be good for smaller yards with certain types of grass. I wouldn't go mowing an acre of St. Augustine with one, even the newer big boy battery one's wouldn't get through it. And if there is a lot of over growth and debris they aren't going to fair well. Even the cheapest gas powered mower will chop through tall grass, and if they conk out in the process, you usually haven't done any permanent damage.

But I really liked using a battery powered mower on a smaller, well kept yard. They are usually super light in comparison to gas mowers and so it makes for quick work. And they are much (much) more quiet. And depending on your fondness of two-stroke engines and their smoke, they don't smell as bad either.

Scott Preston

Jul 28, 2016, 11:47:44 AM7/28/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I have one I got on a lightning deal from Amazon- expectations were low and the fact that I could just send it back made it acceptable.  I got the CM1836 Black and Decker for well under $200.  It claims to mow 1/3 acre.

I have found it is quiet, does great mulching, runs for about 30 minutes or so. It has pretty good power and the motor seems to power through things pretty well.

Loaned it to a friend with much more deep/thick grass and he did not have any issues with it but mowed his back and front yard in 2 sessions with a charge between them.

I like it much more than I ever thought- I do not need gas, gas cans, fuel stabilizer, oil, starting fluid etc. and it easily does what I need to do in a single charge.  Since you are not using gas your don't have the exhaust fumes and associated problems with you smelling like you just mowed the grass.  You can pop it out of the garage, mow for a little bit and go on with life.

If you can live with the limited time due to the battery you might enjoy it.

Scott Preston

Jul 28, 2016, 12:59:47 PM7/28/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
One other thing that is nice is the fact you can store it vertically to save some space.  No oil or gas to leak out !

Allen Rout

Sep 18, 2016, 8:10:46 PM9/18/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
[ ...]

Is Eli Bothe listening?

He's got some electric mower opinions, I think...

- Allen S. Rout