FPGA Class Discussion

Daniel Crews

Apr 29, 2016, 10:42:06 PM4/29/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Since my demo night presentation about a possible reconfigurable logic class (focusing on FPGAs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FPGA ), I received a lot of feedback about what people would like to see in such a class. I'd like to summarize what I've heard:

A) There is a great deal of interest for classes on both the general field and the specific applications of reconfiguration logic. I should do some!
B) For the first class I should focus on the basics. Make the class project something relatively simple, such as a 4 function calculator, so that we can spend more time on the fundamentals of designing and implementing logic. Then do "expert level classes" and/or complex application "workshops" later.
C) Start with the cheapest/simplest board. While there is an appeal to a multipurpose board, the increased initial cost and increased cost/likelihood of frying a complex board makes it a poor choice for the intro class.
D) Have a lab kit that goes home with each student, even though this increases the cost of the class.

Any one disagree with any of that, or have other comments?

--
Fin

GRB352

May 5, 2016, 6:30:14 PM5/5/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
I would say you should first show how it it is like an arduino, maybe hook up a senor or two. Drive a servo and a stepper. seeing my "Parallax board of education" drive a servo inspired me back in the day

then maybe show something the FPGA does that the arduino does not, or not as easily

I would start with a short free class or long demo on demo night showing a teaser of some sort with the hardware you have and promote a class that come with some basic, hopefully inexpensive hardware they get to keep.