Onshape/CAD Basics tutorial on Wed, April 27th. What time works best for people?

Christopher Hoffman

Apr 18, 2016, 6:14:55 PM4/18/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
Hey everyone,

As discussed in the monthly meeting, I am going to be doing a beginning CAD tutorial using Onshape next week, Wed, April 27th. I'm going to start blasting it out to the facebook groups and try to stir up some interest, but realized that we never settled on a time. I'd like to do it after work for most people, so I was thinking either 6pm or 7pm, with the class lasting about 1.5-2 hours.

My idea for the class would be an introduction to parametric CAD Modeling (like those used in Solidworks/Inventor/Fusion), using Onshape, a great free browser based tool. All participants would need is a laptop, tablet, or an android/ios phone. For Android/IOs devices, they would instead need to install the Onshape app (as the native app works better than Chrome's mobile browser). Onshape accounts are free.

Who would be interested in learning CAD, using some of the latest in free CAD technology? What time would work best for you on Web, April 27th? Any ideas for the course itself, what topics would you like me to cover? Any other suggestions for raising awareness of the course, setting it up, etc?

-Chris

damion...@gmail.com

Apr 18, 2016, 8:21:07 PM4/18/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
This is exactly what I need. Count me in! Thanks a lot!
Damion

Allen Rout

Apr 18, 2016, 8:53:19 PM4/18/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Christopher Hoffman
<csh.h...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Who would be interested in learning CAD, using some of the latest in free
> CAD technology?

I'm in.

- Allen S. Rout

matteroflight

Apr 18, 2016, 10:25:26 PM4/18/16
to Gainesville Hackerspace
This is great!  I'd also be interested in something architecturally oriented, particularly FreeCAD.  The influx of classes is great to see, thanks for being proactive!

Frank

Apr 18, 2016, 10:47:58 PM4/18/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for it. I need to learn this stuff.

Thanks,

Frank

Sent from my iPad

Randy Fischer

Apr 19, 2016, 12:19:09 AM4/19/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 6:14 PM, Christopher Hoffman <csh.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'd like to do it after work for most people, so I was thinking either 6pm or 7pm, with the class lasting about 1.5-2 hours.

That would be great - I'd vote for later, 7pm.

damion...@gmail.com

Apr 21, 2016, 7:46:20 AM4/21/16
to gainesville...@googlegroups.com
Before this was sent out, I was trying to make a 3D design dedicated computer out of a slightly dated pc with a large 42 inch flat screen. It has 2gig of ram ,  Intel core duo cpu @ 2.2 ghz . It runs xp. And it seems like 123d design doesn't like it.  I tried to get free Windows 10 but it won't load for free. Should I pay the 100 bucks for Windows 10 or get another OS (Linux) ?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Damion